Ty and CDSOA in Sailing Magazine

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Joe Montana
Member 781

Ty and CDSOA in Sailing Magazine

Post by Joe Montana »

The June issue of Sailing Magazine features Typhoons in two articles -- and also gives a nice plug to CDSOA. The magazine's "Technique" column is about brightwork, and includes a photo of the author's beautiful weekender "Merlot." "Used Boat Notebook" devotes two full pages to the history, performance characteristics and general merits of the Typhoon and includes a photo of "First Light," my Ty daysailer ':)'. The article refers interested readers to CDSOA, and to Noel Peattie's "Typhooner" newsletters archived on this website.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Speaking of sailing rags....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Both Realization (CD32) and Evening Light (CD33) will appear on the cover of the July issue of Northeast Boating magazine (not at news stands yet). Look for Joe Myerson's article inside.
Last edited by Cathy Monaghan on May 23rd, '08, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.
mike ritenour

Wow!

Post by mike ritenour »

You guys are really making it into the big time!

Congratulations!!

Rit
Dixon Hemphill

Northeast Boating Magazine

Post by Dixon Hemphill »

Where can I find a copy?

Dixon
Within the the unlocked homes of the Swedish villages on the shores of the Baltic around the rocks sings the sea.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

I received my copy of Sailing magazine yesterday. As Joe said, there are two great articles referencing Cape Dorys.

The brightwork article is excellent, at least for a "tadpole" like me. I have read a few articles by its author, Ralph Naranjo. I seem to recall he did an article in some sailing magazine about checking the "chainplates" on Ty Weekenders because of soft metal degradation. One of his lower shrouds pulled out during a sail :!:

The two page article on Cape Dory Typhoons by John Kretschmer is terrific. Thankfully, I bought Tadpole before this article came out. If I had read this article and then negotiated for Tadpole I probably would have ended up throwing money at the seller just to own my Ty :wink:

Of all the excellent information in the article, the one that stuck out was the paragraph that answered my question in another post I made on this board concerning the purpose of the two fairleads on the deck just aft of the chainplates. According to Mr. Kretschmer at page 43, "The headsail tracks are mounted on the coachroof for the jib and there's a fixed-point lead on the side deck for larger headsails."

I am "assuming" a "fixed-point lead" is a immobile fairlead permanently attached.

Anyways, two great articles. For those who do not yet subscribe, I get several sailing magazines and each has its good points, etc. However, for what it is worth, in my opinion the mag with the best pictures is Sailing
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: Northeast Boating Magazine

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Dixon Hemphill wrote:Where can I find a copy?

Dixon
Hi Dixon,

I'm not sure where you can get a copy in MD or VA, but here's a link to the Northeast Boating Magazine web site. If you send one of the editors an email, maybe they can help you out. But you can definitely subscribe online.

http://www.offshoremag.net/

Hope this helps,
Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Correction and other info

Post by Joe Myerson »

DISCLAIMER: Please don't consider this to be a plug for my magazine. If the webmasters consider it as such, feel free to remove it.

Cathy, Dixon et al:

The magazine in question hasn't been printed yet, and my article is still being written. All we've got so far is the choice of a cover photo (with cover-person Cathy M. on the cabintop, no less!). Copies of the August issue will be available around July 15.

The web address that Cathy gave might still work, the the correct web address is:

http://www.northeastboating.net

And, Dixon, you might contact the folks at Chesapeake Bay Magazine about getting a copy--we're sister publications with corporate headquarters in Annapolis. If that doesn't work, send me an e-mail with your mailing address, and I'll send you a copy.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Joe Montana
Member 781

Ty Article Is Available

Post by Joe Montana »

Cathy Monaghan has posted Sailing Magazine's excellent June 2008 "Used Boat Notebook" article on the Typhoon on the CDSOA Web pages:

http://www.capedory.org/reviews/sailing ... e%2008.pdf

You can also find it under:

(1) "Groups & Publications" in the "Where to Look" section at:
http://www.capedory.org/cdsoalook-groupsNpubs.html

or

(2) "Typhoon" in the "CD Boat Specs" in the "Cape Dory Info" section at:
http://www.capedory.org/specs/typhoon.htm
Dick Barthel

Re: Ty and CDSOA in Sailing Magazine

Post by Dick Barthel »

Joe Montana wrote:" "Used Boat Notebook" devotes two full pages to the history, performance characteristics and general merits of the Typhoon and includes a photo of "First Light," my Ty daysailer ':)'.
And to think I had a sail on her at last year's Essex rendezvous! She is a beauty and fits well with all the other classics in your marina. Congrats for hitting the big time.

Dick
dckushner

Any hope of getting copies of these TY articles

Post by dckushner »

I can not find these articles, even in the tables of contents of the magazines. Any hope of getting a photocopy or pdf version?
Thanks in advance,
DC
gregor asch

Post by gregor asch »

i was telling my girl friend Vija about the Typhoon while stuck in traffic on the way up to Block Island from Brooklyn. i couldnt shut up cause that sad one for 10$ was on ebay(sold for 350ish$) and i had just spent days looking it up. i flicked open Sailing Mag right to that page without knowing it! i read bits of it to her as she drove and then when she was hooked i read it to her start to finish making sure to go over the graphics when stopped. nice right up.