cd 27 water line

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sethrkallman

cd 27 water line

Post by Sethrkallman »

All
so we have the hull stripped, sanded, faired, sanded, faired again etc. There is just the faintest remnant of the waterline.
So equipped with a laser chalk line/ level. jacks on the cradle etc. I can not get the waterline off the line drawings to agree with the faint outline of the old waterline. The previous owner say that she appeared to float level ( to the best of his memory)
A couple of questions, I want to get the boat level as it would float . first, is there any part, such as the cockpit floor or the cabin sole that is parallel to the water line?
If not ,any good ideas on reconciling the discrepancy

thanks much,
Seth Kallman
tartansailor

Level

Post by tartansailor »

Seth,
I have a CD-25 mounted on a new Triad trailer.
When the trailer rail supporting the keel is level,
(that means that the keel is level fore and aft)
the only surface on the boat that is also level
is the cabin sole.
To get it level athwart ships, I put my level across
the toe rails forward.

Hope this helps,

Dick
Carl Thunberg

PO Photos?

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Seth,

Are you and the previous owner on pretty good terms? The simplest answer may be to ask them if they have any old photos of the boat on a mooring. That'll tell you if the old water line was correct. Of course, that assumes they have any. Personally, I'd be very reluctant to do anything other than match the old water line, especially if the PO remembers it appeared to float level. A line drawing doesn't take into accout how the boat is provisioned with supplies, full water tanks, batteries, ground tackle, etc.

I've been watching for you on the water. I guess this explains why I haven't seen you. The fireworks in the harbor were great on Saturday night.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Duncan Maio

The Keel

Post by Duncan Maio »

Seth:

If I recall correctly, the line drawing that I have (somewhere in my incredibly well-organized "files") shows the keel, and little else, parallel to the DWL.
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI
Steve Behnke
"Altariel", Juneau, Alaska

keel not parallel to waterline

Post by Steve Behnke »

The line drawing does show it as parallel, but on my 27 the keel rises toward the bow by quite a bit, which was something of a shock when I put her on a tidal grid and found her dropping further and further toward the bow as the tide went out!

I'd go with the original WL if possible.