False Depth Meter Reading

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jerry Albright
B Plan,
Mobile, Al

False Depth Meter Reading

Post by Jerry Albright »

My Datamarine Depth Meter has started giving false readings, It will work fine for hours, and then go from reading say a 10' depth to reading maybe 2.5' to 3' bounce around there for a bit and then go back to a true reading.It has happened under sail and power.
Has anyone else had the same problem ? any ideas on what to check ?

Thanks in Advance
Jerry Albright
CD30C, B Plan
tartansailor

Organic Growth

Post by tartansailor »

Same problem here last year.
Clean the transducer.

Dick
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

I get that like clockwork in some spots on my usual sailing route. I believe someone explained to me that different currents and temperature differentiations (stratified layers if you will) can sometimes do this. Maybe even heavy vegetation on the bottom.

I know it has to be something like that because as soon as I pass through these areas, the depth sounder just gets back to normal every time. :D
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
John Ring

Same with new ST60+

Post by John Ring »

Warren Kaplan wrote:I get that like clockwork in some spots on my usual sailing route. I believe someone explained to me that different currents and temperature differentiations (stratified layers if you will) can sometimes do this. Maybe even heavy vegetation on the bottom.

I know it has to be something like that because as soon as I pass through these areas, the depth sounder just gets back to normal every time. :D
I just installed a brand new Raymarine ST60+ Tridata unit, and I find it does the same thing. It routinely shows me sailing in 2.5 feet of water just outside of Marblehead Hbr. My old Signet unit correctly showed it at 40-50'. The hull and transducer are very clean. The ST60+ appears accurate everywhere else, and unlike the old Signet, holds bottom very well in the 150-200' range.

John
Sailing involves the courage to cherish adventure and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Warren Kaplan wrote:I believe someone explained to me that different currents and temperature differentiations (stratified layers if you will) can sometimes do this.
I remember the same thing. I'd have to check with an official USN Sonarman, but I believe that it's the temperature layer that does it. When I was a signalman, we'd routinely get very long messages from anti-submarine destroyers, with way too many numbers reporting temp at varying depths. I also remember from one computer game or another that subs can effectively hide just under a thermal layer because sonar does funny things there.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
chase

depth

Post by chase »

I think I got some false readings in the CApe Fear River the other day. The water is deep in the channel, but I was getting shallow soundings. The Cape Fear has the normal river flow underneath the flood tide, moving over one another, and I thought that might be what was happening. Otherwise there is something seriously wrong with my piloting.

I lose soundings all together when a big tug goes by or a large sportfisher passes and goes back to plane from aeration or stirring up the mud bottom. There are other places where I mysteriously lose soundings consistently, like Adams Creek Canal in between Beaufort and Oriental.

Chase
SPIBob

depth readings

Post by SPIBob »

I was a sonar technician in the navy and we routineloy measured the water temp at different depths (the instrument was called a bathythermograph). Water temps don't usually vary gradually with depth but rather remain fairly steady within layers called thermoclines and change abruptly at the edges of these layers. Sound tends to reflect at these temp boundaries and could be responsible for some false depth readings. (Submarines routinely submerge to just below one of these thermoclines to "hide" from the surface ship's sonar transmissions.)

Another possible source of momentary false depth readings is marine life. A school of fish would do the trick. We get frequent false readings of 2-3 ft. down here when a dolphin swims under the transducer and hangs out there for a few seconds. Apparently the frequency of the sound is within their audible range and they are curious to check it out.
mahalocd36

Re: depth readings

Post by mahalocd36 »

SPIBob wrote: Another possible source of momentary false depth readings is marine life. A school of fish would do the trick.
Freaked us out a bit - in the middle of the Gulf of Maine, miles from land, our depth sounder suddenly went to I forget - something around 10 feet. It stayed there a bit, varying a foot or 2 up and down, for what seemed like a long time as we double checked charts and chartplotters and the lack of land in view in any direction. Finally it sprung back to the few hundred feet it is. We figured it was a school of fish or a really big one hanging out there.

Melissa
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
Dixon Hemphill

False depth readings

Post by Dixon Hemphill »

I too get false readings quite often. Glad to learn that others do too.

Best solution if there is one is to consult the chart depths and proceed accordingly.
Within the the unlocked homes of the Swedish villages on the shores of the Baltic around the rocks sings the sea.
wsonntag
SURPRISE
Georgetown Maryland
Member Since 2005

Could Be Water Instrusion of Transducer

Post by wsonntag »

All suggestions made are good ones but the problem I had with a DMI unit was water intrusion in the transducer. Only fix, replacement, never a false reading since other than the occassional large unidentified creature silently slipping beneath the keel!

Bill Sonntag
Jerry Albright
B Plan,
Mobile, Al

Thanks for the Quick Response

Post by Jerry Albright »

Thanks for the quick response, I can always depend on this site and the collective wisdom to help me through the issues a boat owner encounters.

Thanks Again
Jerry Albright
CD30 , B Plan