Need Suggestions for Typhoon Jiffy Reefing

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Steve Lepley

Need Suggestions for Typhoon Jiffy Reefing

Post by Steve Lepley »

I currently already have my Typhoon set up for jiffy reefing. I have two sets of reef points at both the tack and clew. The tack works with with the "portugese hooks. Just lower the halyard and secure.

Where I need some ideas is on the clew. I am searching for a set up so that I can pull in the clew reef from the cockpit, while the halyard is slacked off.

Appreciate any ideas and or photos if you have any.

Thanks

Steve
Steve Lepley
1972 Typhoon Weekender, "Searunner"
Hull # 255
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Steve:

I too am looking into the best way to configure a reefing system for my Ty Weekender. Unfortunately, I am a true "tadpole" sailor and know very little about the best way to set up a reefing system.

I am sure that experienced Cape Dory sailors (and Ty Weekender Owners - "TWOs") will soon post their suggestions.

In the interim, Harken has a reasonably good diagram of how to run the lines. Go to:

http://www.harken.com/rigtips/reefing.php

The Harken reefing package is insanely expensive. I am sure you can buy the individual cheek blocks, cleats, etc. at a much cheaper price.

Also, there is an article on the Sailnet website on slab reefing:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning- ... efing.html

I hope to be aboard S/V Tadpole this afternoon and will list and diagram what hardware I already have on the boom, mast, etc. I know I have one cheek block on the boom on the starboard side at the clew. I also have one small cleat on the boom also on the starboard side near the tack. The main has only one set of reefing points that I recall.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Jiffy Reef

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Steve:
Since you already have to be at the mast to hook the tack reef on to the tack hooks, why not terminate your clew reef on the boom, near the mast?
Won't you be tying reefs into the sail along the boom also?
Since one has to leave the cockpit for these tasks, you might as well do the clew reefing from the mast. Heaving to on the starboard tack makes this a non stressful job.
The Cape Dory Owner's Manual (available on this site) has a diagram for setting up jiffy reefing with the clew reef line on the boom.
An eye, a cheek block, a few fairleads, a cleat and you're in business!
Regards,
Tony Jeske
Mike Wainfeld
Bayshore, NY

Ty reefing

Post by Mike Wainfeld »

Steve-If you search for "Typhoon Reefing" you'll find a wealth of information-there are many posts going back almost 10 years.
The usual set up for a Ty is a cheek block on the side of the boom below the clew and a cleat forward, also on the side of the boom (about 1/3 of the way back from the gooseneck). For the reefing line tie a bowline around the boom, lead the line up thru the reefing cringle (grommet) on the leech and back down to the cheek block, then forward to the cleat.
You can stand in the companionway with your feet on the quarterberths and reach the mast, sail luff, reef hook, halyard and reef line on the boom cleat all from that one spot, and reef in about 2 minutes, with no winches!Try that on a CD 36 :D
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Steve:

I checked out the reefing set up on S/V Tadpole yesterday. It is almost exactly as Mike described it except the cleat on the starboard side of the boom is more forward, perhaps 6"-8" back from the gooseneck. It is also, surprisingly, a rubber type cleat. Definitely not metal and not a hard plastic. There was some give to each horn. Surprising.

The cheek block is very near the end of the boom and when the reef line is pulled, it will pull the foot of the mainsail back towards this cheek block, flattening the main - as I understand it, a good thing in higher winds.

There are also no fairleads along the boom for the reef line. I do not presently plan to drill and tap for screws to install fairleads. It is only a 9' run from cheek block to "rubber" cleat.

I plan to install a line as suggested by Mike with a bowline around the boom at the clew, up to the cringle along the leech and down the other side through the cheek block and forward to the "rubber" cleat.

There is also no reef hook for the tack of the main. I may just use a piece of line and run it through the tack cringle, around the boom and around the mast. This is how we reef the tack cringle on the Harbor 20s I "race" (if you can call it that) and it seems to work OK.

Let us (me) know how you decide to do things on your Ty Weekender.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097