What to ask newbies to bring on a cruise

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Mathias

What to ask newbies to bring on a cruise

Post by Mathias »

I am going to be cruising most of the summer. At various times, I will being inviting newbies to join me for a stretch. I am trying to develop a list I can send to those people of items they should consider bringing along.

Keep in mind, that I have the regular supply of needs, such as safety harnesses or sunscreen or provisions.

What do you suggest to people who will be joining you for a bit? What are items people typically DON'T remember? (Like cell phone chargers, maybe tampons for the ladies. Maybe medicines.)

What belongs on this list?

-Mathias
Sunset, CD25
Lake Champlain
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: What to ask newbies to bring on a cruise

Post by Neil Gordon »

Mathias wrote:What are items people typically DON'T remember? (Like cell phone chargers, maybe tampons for the ladies. Maybe medicines.)
1- You should always have tampons on board. Also, an extra windbreaker, sweatshirt, hats, etc., reading material and written instructions for what not to flush down the head.

2 - If you're doing this in writing, I'd give some context to a list, to help them remember and to set limits:

"We have 12 volt DC on board (same as your car) but not AC household current. Your car charger will work, but ..."

"We have a small ice box but not a freezer or a real fridge."

"We have unlimited storage space for beer, wine and single malt scotch."

"Storage space is limited (except for beer, etc., as noted above), so all you bring should pack in a medium size soft sided duffel."

"We won't be near any drug stores, so bring at least ..."

3 - My experience is that the range of clothing is what people mostly get wrong. They need to be prepared for hot, warm, cool, cold, wet, etc. Oh... remind them to bring a bathing suit.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Non-marking soles, soft-sided duffel

Post by Joe Myerson »

Neil is obviously an experienced host for newbies. I was going to recommend a soft-sided duffel, but I see he's covered that (as well as the beer and single-malt issue).

I'd add one more thing:

Be sure to wear footwear with nonslip and non-marking soles.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Non-marking soles, soft-sided duffel

Post by Neil Gordon »

Joe Myerson wrote:Neil is obviously an experienced host for newbies.
Believe it or not, I was once an inexperienced newbie, which is (through trial and error mostly) how I learned what to bring, how to bring it and what to leave home.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Roy J.
Location: The fleet: Auburn CD-25, CD-28 #255 as yet unnamed Marblehead MA

prescription meds and a hat

Post by Roy J. »

Tell them that gifts for the boat are traditional, like hostess gifts, and that safety equipment is always welcome, and provide a list. So one weekend you get a set of jacklines, next trip a pair of safety harnesses, later a lifesling or other throwable pfd, a set of flares. Most of these items are below $100 each, so your friends may think you are a little acquisitive, and the tradition a little strange, but as newbies, who are they to say? A few more guests and you are outfitted for anything. Please let us know if this works at all.... :wink:
Roy Jacobowitz
Tod M

seasick med of choice if needed

Post by Tod M »

sunglasses are nice

broad-brimmed hat

in addition to regular clothing, a rain suit if you aren't providing one

a book
river-rat

Post by river-rat »

We used to sail with guests in remote areas and found that a written information sheet was very handy in avoiding surprises. We have sold our C&C 35 and now have a Cape Dory 25 for use close to home. Following is the information sheet we used for a number of years. I have deleted personal information from this copy. (Note that relied on VHF radio rather than cell phones, and that much of our sailing was along the Canadian Pacific Coast)

I like the comment about unlimited storage space for single malt. We have had guests that seemed to deplete my supply very rapidly.

Sailboat "Wind Song" Information for guests (Moorage is in front of our house. Phone for directions, if needed)

Owners: XXXXXX XXXXXX XXXXX
Address, Phone, E-mail

35 foot, 1981 C&C Landfall sloop, blue hull, white deck, major equipment as follows:
30 HP Westerbeke diesel, 6 knots under power
VHF marine radio: call sign WAH 7773
GPS, Radar, EPIRB Emergency transmitter Class B
Fresh water: 70 gal Fuel: 35 gal
Auto-pilot, electric with flux-gate compass
Life Sling Man Overboard system
Tender: 10 foot Zodiac with 4 HP outboard

To contact Wind Song when in US: telephone 1-888-MARINE2 (1-888-627-4632) and ask for a marine radio call to Wind Song Call sign WAH 7773. You will need to know our approximate location.
To Contact Windsong when in Canada: Contact the Marine Operator in Vancouver BC and ask the operator to call the vessel through the appropriate Coast Guard Station. You will need to know our approximate location.
We normally monitor radio at noon and 9 PM, and when we are sailing in the ocean. On long trips we contact our Daughter, XXX XXX, every few days at (H)XXX XXX XXXX or (W) XXX XXX XXXX. Note that radio telephone calls are expensive and frequently have poor connections.
For all guests: Bring clothing appropriate for outdoor activity. Soft soled shoes are essential. We have life jackets, but bring your own if you have a favorite.

Suggested equipment for overnight guests:
*bedroll or sleeping bag
personal toiletries, sun block, medications, sea sickness medicine
clothing for cold weather (expect 50 deg F nights in summer)
clothing for warm weather, include sun hat and sun glasses
*foul weather gear, sea boots, rain hat, gloves
camera, film, swim suit if appropriate
*life jacket, harness for ocean passages
luggage should be soft , duffel bags or equivalent.
*We normally have spares; please check with us before bringing your own.

PLEASE TELL US: If you have any medical problems, who to contact in an emergency; questions about safety or procedures, how to operate any equipment

WE WILL EXPECT YOU:
To assist in boat operation, meal preparation, cleanup, etc.
To wear a life jacket and/or harness when appropriate
To have input on itinerary and schedule (but not final say)
Share in food cost and other expendables while on board
(the cost of boat operation, fuel , spare parts, moorage are not
a part of your responsibility)
Arrange for and pay your own transportation to and from Wind Song
(note that itinerary changes may require rescheduling)
TO HAVE A GOOD TIME

Updated 1-10-2004
Mathias

My Welcome List

Post by Mathias »

Thanks for all the feedback. I like the casual tone that was recommended by Neil. And I liked the boat description by River Rat.

So, combining those, here is my list. I would have made some more base jokes, but since this list's first targets are the parents of my daughter's girlfriend, I had to keep it PG.

Welcome to SV Dolphins

Dolphins is a Hans Christian 33. She is a fat, heavy, cutter-rigged cruising yacht designed for ocean crossings. She is 33 feet on deck and 41 feet overall (including her bowsprit.)

What the heck does “SV” mean? That’s sailor-talk to make our “ships” sound important. It’s the official code for “Sailing Vessel.” Just like HMS Erebus stands for Her Majesty’s Ship. Or SS France stands for Steam Ship. Sometimes you will see MV before a name. That means Motor Ship.

She is registered with the United States Coast Guard and inspected for federal safety standards by the Vermont State Police. Those safety standards are pretty basic and since I am big on safety, Dolphins’ safety arrangements far exceed those standards. Here are just a few of the additional items: Six-man liferaft, abandon ship bag, man overboard retrieval systems, additional fire extinguishers, Emergency satellite beacon (Epirb), advanced first aid supplies, three GPS systems, Radar, two VHF radios, plenty of PFDs (lifevests.)

WHAT TO BRING

Below are a few lists of things to bring. (Sheesh, the captain’s giving orders already, and you haven’t even boarded yet!)

!!! Please bring everything aboard in soft collapsible duffels or bags. No hard suitcases because there is no room to store them. !!! (And already, the captain is shouting.)

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED ITEMS

Do not underestimate the need for warm clothing. Even in warm climates, it gets chilly on the water, especially towards evening.

Warm hat or hooded sweatshirt (Best: wool watch caps. And you’ll look “salty.”)
Wool sweater
Light windbreaker
Long underwear
Wool socks
Rain gear (jacket and pants – see bottom of these instructions if you don’t have pants)
Rain shoes (Shoes that can get wet or rubber boots.)
Sunglasses
“Croakies” for glasses and hat clips
Hat with bill or brim
Women should bring your own feminine products.

TO CONSIDER

Your own CDs, DVDs, gameboys, books, Ipod, laptop.
Your own “gadgets” (GPS, binoculars, camera, handheld compass, etc.)
Chargers (car-chargers) for cell phones, ipods, laptops, etc.)
Your own headset or ear-set if you like to listen to music when others are sleeping.
Your journal, sketchbook
Your own favorite food bars/vitamins
Your own bedding or pillow
Ear plugs, if you have a hard time sleeping with noise
I have some towels, but some people prefer their own. I recommend high-absorption camping towels. (Traditional towels almost never dry in salt-water environments.)
Swim suits.

You will need MUCH LESS clothes than you think. One pair of long pants is sufficient. One pair of shorts, maybe two. You won’t need as many shirts as you think. And the high heels won’t get much show time.

REQUIRED FOR OFFSHORE PASSAGE

Petzl Tactikka Headlamp (or similar, but this is best I have seen. Lightweight, long-lasting, and very comfortable.)
Foulies (including wet shoes or boots. I recommend Teva Proton II or Neutron II.)
Lifevest/Harness (If you do not have your own, ask me if I have one in your size.)
Passport (and possibly visa(s) and consider taking your driver’s license.)
Three-season gloves or waterproof sailing gloves.
Additional medicine (Enough for rescue period. To be stowed in Abandon Ship bag)
Consider a spare set of prescription glasses to be stowed in Abandon Ship bag.

IF YOU DON'T HAVE SOME OF THE ITEMS

If you don’t have some of these things, make a list and ask me if I have spares. You don’t have to go out buying knee-pads just because you are going to be swabbing my decks once in your life. (Oh wait, I never let deck-swabbies wear knee-pads, so, ask for anything besides that.)
Sunset, CD25
Lake Champlain
Troy Scott

suntan lotion, other chemicals

Post by Troy Scott »

I have had guests come on board and use tanning lotion that also "tanned " the deck, and bug repellent that melted the varnish and melted permanent fingerprints into the plastic wine glasses. These are obviously no-nos. I've seen high-heels on the dock, endured hair-spray in the cabin, and I've had guests who would not listen to the gentle suggestion that a hangover will increase the likelihood of mal-de-mer. These things should be covered in your list. Once I had someone leave the water running at the galley sink "waiting for it to get cold". These are not stupid people, just thoughtless ones. Then there is the opposite extreme: I've had guests who thought that the rules for the boat are general rules for life, so they've started turning off the shower water while they lather up, etc., on LAND. What to do..., what to do....
Regards,
Troy Scott
mgphl52

Thank You's!

Post by mgphl52 »

To both Mathias & River-Rat! These are great lists/letters of introduction for any vessel that has frequent guests. The first year or so after I got KAYLA, she was often referred to a 'the Party' boat at Bluewater Bay... Well, she did initiate a lot of 'virgins-to-sailing' and most of them truly loved it! (Thank you, KAYLA!)

Now that my Admiral has changed jobs and we've moved twice in the last 8 months, we haven't been able to sail near as often as we did in the "good-old" days... But we're working on fixing that! I plan to combine all of the lists here as a basis for KAYLA's introduction letter for when we can start sailing more and introduce more people to sailing again.

Thanks Everyone!

-michael & Toni
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Mathias

No-No brands?

Post by Mathias »

Troy,

Do you happen to remember the brands of the no-nos? Like the bug repellent or the tanning lotion. Or if the heels were Manolo Blahnicks or Gucci?

If the water isn't getting cold for your guests, you could suggest they go down to the basement and turn down the dial on the hot-water tank.

But seriously, which are brands to avoid?

-Mathias
Sunset, CD25
Lake Champlain