Typhoon Roller Furler & Headsail

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Chris & Dale Schnell
Location: 1969 Typhoon Weekender, MISS DALE, #27, Southport, NC

Typhoon Roller Furler & Headsail

Post by Chris & Dale Schnell »

I just purchased Miss Dale (formerly Aqua Blue) for my bride :D which is a 1969 CD Typhoon Daysailer, Hull #27. Due to no lifelines/bow pulpit (& both of us somewhat clutzy at times), I'm going to bite the bullet right now & go w/the collective wisdom of this board for a CDI Roller Furler. Tonight, I will measure my actual forestay as there is no real data for a 1969 as far as dimensions and since the design has changed some since then. That will determine if I go w/a FF1 or FF2. I don't plan on exceeding a 150 sail size in a good quality dacron w/sunbrella protection. I have 4 questions:
1. Has anyone used "Rigging Only" as a source for the CDI (their prices are excellent on-line), and what's been your experience?
2. Does anyone have a recommendation on a sailmaker EXPERIENCED in making a tape drive roller furling headsail for a TY Daysailer?
3. Does anyone have an electronic copy of an owners manual for a 1969 TY daysailer that they'd be willing to share? (Not sure those on this site reflect the most accurate data/specifications being 12 years older)
4. Is there a subset of Cape Dory just for Typhooners or another website devoted to them?

Thanks in advance for your assistance! :D :D
Full Sails & Calm Seas,

Chris & Dale Schnell
s/v MISS DALE, #27
1969 Alberg Typhoon Weekender
Southport, NC
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Congrats on both(?) Typhoon & bride!

When getting the new head sail, make sure they pad the luff well for roller furling. That will help maintain a more functional shape as you reduce sail for heavy air.

We replaced the 145% on KAYLA with 135% and have frequently (had to!) sailed it as a 70% or less. I know that is far more than they recommend, she still did fine.

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
boom2it

1983 CD Typhoon

City Island, NY

Post by boom2it »

I just recently received my new CDI FF1, not yet installed, but hopefully this weekend. I purchased mine through Sailnet, good forum and a good online store, CDI FF1 with BB $315. I purchased the new head sail through FXsails (150%), again competitively priced and helpful customer service.
Good luck and congrats.
Gael Force
City Island NY
83 TY WKNDR
shinchman

Jib Questions

Post by shinchman »

Can I piggy back on this thread to ask whether I can use a recent (ie 10 yrs old or so) North Sails 130 or 150 % genoa (not sure) if I wanted to install a roller furler next winter for my Typhoon? Or would I have to bite the bullet and get both the tackle and a sail.

Second question: does anyone have suggestions about replacing the jib cleat (located atop the combing immediately south of the beautiful brass winches). I don't really want to mess with the original look and feel of the boat, but on the other hand the jamb cleats on my Dad's Ensign work so much better....

Thanks for the input.

Steve
________
Loratab Rehab Forums
Last edited by shinchman on Mar 14th, '11, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
ronkberg

Re: Jib Questions

Post by ronkberg »

Hi Steve, last winter I had a 150% genoa modified by Bayview Rigging & Sails, Inc in Yarmouth, ME (www.bayviewails.com) and they did a great job. I used the sail last summer and it worked fine on a CDI FF1. You lose some of the sail as they modify it and that leaves it shorter but that's a consequence of adding the luff tape. They use white material for the sun shield.

Boom2it, what type and size furling line do you intend to use? The line I have is rather stiff and tends to kink up sometimes when I am letting the sail unfurl. The CDI FF1 spool is small so use the size they specify but, again what type of line?

Thanks Typhooners and fair winds.

Ron
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
shinchman

FFI line

Post by shinchman »

Haven't researched that far yet. But would love to know your recomendations. Thanks for the tip on Bayview (were they formerly part of Maine Sailing Partners?).

In the meantime, am loving my new Ty - hank ons and all!

Steve
________
Ford Xp Falcon History
Last edited by shinchman on Feb 11th, '11, 07:42, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

shinchman wrote:Can I piggy back on this thread to ask whether I can use a recent (ie 10 yrs old or so) North Sails 130 or 150 % genoa (not sure) if I wanted to install a roller furler next winter for my Typhoon? Or would I have to bite the bullet and get both the tackle and a sail.
You can have the sail converted. Talk to your sailmaker and see what the cost of conversion would be vs. a new sail. Depending on use, 10 years old may not be "recent" and the sailmaker can tell you how many good years you have left.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Joe Mac Phee

Post by Joe Mac Phee »

Neil Gordon wrote:
shinchman wrote:Can I piggy back on this thread to ask whether I can use a recent (ie 10 yrs old or so) North Sails 130 or 150 % genoa (not sure) if I wanted to install a roller furler next winter for my Typhoon? Or would I have to bite the bullet and get both the tackle and a sail.
You can have the sail converted. Talk to your sailmaker and see what the cost of conversion would be vs. a new sail. Depending on use, 10 years old may not be "recent" and the sailmaker can tell you how many good years you have left.
It would also be useful to find out how much life is left in the sail and compare the two to see if they intersect.

Joe Mac Phee :?
Chris & Dale Schnell
Location: 1969 Typhoon Weekender, MISS DALE, #27, Southport, NC

Post by Chris & Dale Schnell »

To all I thank you for your insights. You may think me a little crazy, but after much deliberation I chose to go w/the CDI FF1 roller furler, a brand new 135% genoa dacron sail w/UV cover, and a new dacron mainsail w/2 reef points. I went thru Bill James @ FX Sails/Sailnet who was most cooperative and patient w/my 200 questions. One thing that immediately strikes you is that they know Typhoon sails. The way I looked at it was I'll never get new sails any cheaper in the future, they will be "trained" to this boat (e.g. flaking), and this should be the last set of sails we'll need if we take good care of them. I took full advantage of the 10% discount my CDSOA membership gave me. I don't have the product in hand, but their customer service so far has been excellent and I strongly recommend them. Of course I now have 7 sailbags in the basement to go thru & deal with. You may see a post of sails for sale in the near future. Just thought you'd like to know.
Full Sails & Calm Seas,

Chris & Dale Schnell
s/v MISS DALE, #27
1969 Alberg Typhoon Weekender
Southport, NC
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Congrats and Great Sailing!!!

I think you made an excellent choice!
Many times, I still miss my Typhoons... but such is life.

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Mike Wainfeld
Bayshore, NY

Jam cleats

Post by Mike Wainfeld »

Steve-I sailed for years using the coaming cleats but finally installed the jam cleats on orders from the First Mate (my son Remy). They really are easier to use and I left the coaming cleats in place so the look of the boat has not changed much.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7 ... zcOGIPbz4E
shinchman

Jamb Cleat for the Genoa

Post by shinchman »

Mike - Your picture shows that exact arrangement I had in mind for the working jib/cabin top jib fairleads on my Ty. What about for the genoa sheet, which goes to the pulley on the toerail aft of the jib winches and then ties on the jib cleat? Does anyone have ideas how to convert to a jamb cleat for a genoa without significant alteration to original look of boat?

Thanks.
________
MERCURY TOPAZ SPECIFICATIONS
Last edited by shinchman on Feb 11th, '11, 07:42, edited 1 time in total.
crazywilbur

rollar furlar

Post by crazywilbur »

I have a rollar furlar sail shore sail for sale . made for 18ft typhoon. Its new. $400 sail and bag plus shiping.
dockmaster at fhyc