Yanmar fuel issues solved

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Ken Textor

Yanmar fuel issues solved

Post by Ken Textor »

Hello all,

In a June 4, 2008, post titled ?Yanmar fuel issues,? I asked for suggestions to correct a YSM-8 engine that was varying its RPMs in a strange and inconsistent manner. I now have at least part of the answer to why this problem developed: It was due to a Tempo primer bulb (West Marine cat. no. 371855) installed midway between the fuel tank and the first fuel filter. I installed this primer bulb this past winter after my first full season with the YSM-8, a season during which the engine performed flawlessly. After the primer bulb was installed, problems described in the earlier post developed. Since the primer bulb has been removed, the problems have disappeared. Primer bulb is therefore guilty as charged.

I have not yet spoken to the Tempo people to discuss why their primer bulb caused the problems described in the earlier post. I?ll get around to this at some point and report back if they have some sort of reasonable explanation. For now, though, the Maine sailing season calls and discussing a $12 primer bulb with harried customer service people is a fairly low priority for me. Thanks to all who offered advice on this issue.

Ken Textor, s/v Marie Rose (CD 27 hull #139)
Arrowsic, ME
________
Cheap glass pipes