Intermittent cooling water from Honda 8

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Tom Foley
Location: Cape Dory 25, Heather, Arundel Yacht Club, Kennebunkport, Maine

Intermittent cooling water from Honda 8

Post by Tom Foley »

Cooling water is discharged intermittently from my 2006 Honda 8hp which I use on my CD25. The marina where I bought it says I may need to replace the impeller (pump). That seems odd to me since the motor has about 50 hours on it. Any thoughts?

If I need to replace the impeller, how do I do it? Any tricks?

Thanks
Tom Foley
tartansailor

Honda 8 Impeller

Post by tartansailor »

I have a Honda 8 and the impeller was shot mid way through a half seasons. use. There is a lot of mud and sand in my shallow mooring.
Honda dealer replaced for a fair charge.

Dick
sfreihofer

Intermittent Cooling

Post by sfreihofer »

I can't speak specifically about the Honda, but all the outboards I know of house the impeller pump inside the lower unit. The ease of repair depends on your ability, but it's generally easier to get it apart than to get it back together because the shift rod, water tube, and driveshaft, all have to be aligned and inserted simultaneously.

Stan F
Instant Bubble-head. Just add water.
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

Do you pull the engine out of the water, when not in use?

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

The critters could have (partially) plugged the cooling passages, and/or grown around the impeller, and it tore, the next time the engine was started. Check, or have checked the whole cooling circuit.
tmsc

Honda 8

Post by tmsc »

I have regrettable had two of these. I bought one, and the other came with a boat I bought. Both were absolute nightmares. Yes it is possible that the impeller is worn out, but I would check the discharge hole at its end, at the connection at the head and the hose. My experience has been that these engines are very very easily clogged. Flush them fanatically especially if used in saltwater. In the past, I have disconnected the hose at the head and put Salt Away or white vinegar into the hole using a coffee straw until it comes out the foot. Once I see some flow out the foot, I then flush with a Salt Away kit. It is a slow process, but I have had good luck with it and has save me from wasting cash on an impeller that was not needed. If this doesn't do it, you probably need an impeller. It really is a good idea to replace them annually since they will take a set.

I know that a lot of people love these engines and this seems to be a problem with the small Hondas not the larger ones, but I will hopefully never have another. Oh yeah, of all the various brands I have had and have experience with these seem to be the least tolerant of non-use even if they have been flushed after the last use. Good luck
Lee
S/V Solomon Lee
Tom Foley
Location: Cape Dory 25, Heather, Arundel Yacht Club, Kennebunkport, Maine

Honda 8 cooling

Post by Tom Foley »

Thanks for all your help. I decided to take it to the dealer and found the thermostat stuck closed with salt. The impeller and housing was also chewed up. My previous motor was a Mariner 8 that was 20 years old with the original impeller and thermostat.
Humbug! Don't have the bill yet. The thermostat was ok after cleaning.
Tom
tmsc

Post by tmsc »

Tom,

Sorry to hear that, but I am not surprised. Here is a little unsolicited advice. If you can do it, keep the money and get another engine and save yourself some headaches. I have already told you about my experience with them. I cant' imagine anyone maintaining an outboard any better than I do and these just did not hold up regardless of how much they were babied. Like you, I have had some outboards that were great. An old 50's Evinrude I had refused to die. I had it for years then gave it to a friend who is still using it 10 years later.

I ran a dry stack boat storage that held 200 boats for 5 years and out of all the outboards I saw being used, the Yamahas seemed to be the most trouble free, and their four strokes were fantastic. I was amazed at how they just stepped in and right from the start made a four stroke that ran quieter, smoother, and started easier than the Hondas eventhough Honda specialized in them and had been making them forever. The Yamahas also appear to be reaching the status of Yanmar diesels and are getting very popular with cruisers. Definitely the number one spot on my list when I replace my old Nissan which has been a great motor.

Well enough of my rant, again good luck.
Lee
S/V Solomon Lee