Off Topic: appeal to all Cape Dorians

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Tod M

Off Topic: appeal to all Cape Dorians

Post by Tod M »

I apologise if this is out of line.

"A fellow sailor on the Cruising Sailor's Bulletin Board has a daughter, Olivia, who is in an online contest on behalf of her library and herself. Olivia could sure use votes from fellow sailors (link below).

Olivia, cruising kid (lived aboard for two years) and voracious reader, entered a national book review contest. The finalists were chosen by the sponsoring library, but the actual winner is chosen by PUBLIC VOTE. If she wins, she gets $1000 in books for her library and $500 in books for herself. Since her library just lost a massive amount of funding, she would really like to help them out.

Olivia's video is "YOUR CHICKENS, A KIDS GUIDE" and you can watch it and vote for it on the link below. Please vote EVERY DAY until midnight Eastern time Wednesday. She's neck-and-neck with another kid whose sister already won a previous category: they have their entire school disctict voting, which Olivia does not have, so she really needs all the support she can get!

See the video and VOTE here (YOUR CHICKENS By Gail Damerow)

http://www.storytubes.info/vote/final_videos.php

(Personally, I think the videos should be judged on their merit rather than on how organized the kids' parents are, but apparently this is the way its done, so I am trying to help her out!!)

If you would like to pass the link on to any other friends, forums, or anywhere else you think folks might like to vote, please do so. It's going to be a very tight race and every vote helps! Thank you so much!"

Thanks,

Tod
S/V Necessity
Columbia, MO

Thanks.

Post by S/V Necessity »

I figure it's on topic because she was a liveaboard ;) Anyways I liked her video the best. What a nice diversion, thanks!
wingreen

definitely on-topic

Post by wingreen »

Another sailor once called me "chicken".
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Tod:

I absolutely do not speak for all of the CDSOA board, and the webmasters et al. may have a different perspective, but in my opinion the answer is HELL YES :!: :!: :!: :!: .

Assuming it is appropriate, legal and ethical, I intend to cast a vote again tomorrow morning - before I visit S/V Tadpole.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Post by trapper »

I think she is the best. I voted!
Tod Mills

BTW, here is their sailing page...

Post by Tod Mills »

Just to help make my post a little more relevant to the topic at hand:

http://www.sailzora.com/

They took a two year cruise from Maine, where they live, down to South America and back....

Thanks for your votes! Don't forget to vote again tomorrow (it is allowed). She was leading until just recently. Today the other top vote-getter got over a thousand votes in two hours, so it is some tough competition.
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
Patrick Harrison
Location: CD 30MKII, "Alatna" Hull #27, CD 10 Hull #628, Raymond,N.H.

Post by Patrick Harrison »

Great video, she got my vote. We had chickens when we grew up, and you can't beat them for fresh eggs and meat for the year.
"Speak softly and carey a big stick, you will go far" Theodore Roosevelt
chase

now we're talking!

Post by chase »

I feel like two worlds just collided.

I just forwarded this to Gail Damerow, the author of the book and an old friend. I used to write for her farm related magazine years ago when I was fresh out of college.

Thanks for posting. Here's to the bright orange yolks of farm fresh eggs while cruising and sharp young people that change the world one egg at a time.

Chase
Last edited by chase on Jun 3rd, '08, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
wingreen

Re: BTW, here is their sailing page...

Post by wingreen »

Tod Mills wrote:Today the other top vote-getter got over a thousand votes in two hours, so it is some tough competition.
1,000 votes in two hours?!?! I'm sure very few even watched any of the other videos.

Sheesh, never underestimate the power of organized school-moms to inflict permanent emotional damage - both to their own children and "collateral" damage to whoever happens to get in their way.

BTW, I forwarded your request to another sailing board.
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Post by trapper »

When does the voting end?
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Little Chicken Lover

Post by Oswego John »

Trapper,

Midnight tonight, Wednesday

Good timing. I was about to send in a reminder to the readers to vote today for that lovely little miss who loves chickens. She is so engaging, so natural.

The good news is "we" just forged ahead into first place. I'm really getting into this. Who cares about Hillary and that other guy,whats his name?

So remember, vote early, vote often. :D

Chickens rule.

O J
Riptide
Riptide

Great Story

Post by Riptide »

I remember reading this family's story on their website. I've posted this request to my church and to the Plastic Classic Forum. I hope she wins though the other group is moving up fast.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Contest Is Coming To A Close

Post by Oswego John »

Hi all,

At midnight the contest ends. It is a VERY close race. Our little sailing girl, the one with the chickens is ahead, but barely.

She is running neck and neck with another contender with only a hundred and twenty votes separating them. That's not much considering that they each have over ten thousand votes apiece.

There were over four hundred votes separating the two contenders this afternoon, but #2 keeps getting a lot of votes in spurts and is closing fast.

Our little sailor girl needs votes badly if she is going to hold off #2.

(Isn't this exciting. Excuse me while I check out my pacemaker)
O J
tmsc

Video

Post by tmsc »

She did a fine job and should definitely get a pat on the back. I am curious. Was she home schooled at anytime?
Lee
S/V Solomon Lee
Russell

Post by Russell »

I did my part and voted both today and yesterday (I did view all the videos first though, but I am sure this post did bias me).

But I cant help feeling sorry for the other kids whos parents are not internet savvy enough to canvass for them too. It probably feels pretty crappy to get 30 votes when someone else gets thousands.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)