Jibe Technique

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

henry hey
Location: Former owner: CD25 - 'Homeward Bound' hull #711. Now sailing with C. Brey aboard Sabre 28 Delphine

One more thing

Post by henry hey »

Almost forgot one more point.

DO NOT CLEAT the main sheet when you haul it to the centerline.

You want to be able to release your main (yes with control) when you make your turn and the wind pushes it to the other side.

If you cleat the mainsheet, you run the risk of a number of problems. If you turn too quickly, the wind will grab your cleated main and spin or knock down your boat - not to mention that with that much new force on the sheet it may be quite challenging to uncleat it when needed.

-hh
chase

good stuff

Post by chase »

Good points Henry. So you teach sailing?

Chase
rtbates

beware of hand method

Post by rtbates »

This past weekend I just about had my arm socket pulled out from jibing 'as usual'. Unfortunately the wind wasn't usual. It had built up quite a bit and having been sailing wing and wing for sometime I hadn't noticed how much it had increased. In the lower wind range I jibe by simply grabbing the mainsheet and hauling it over as I turn the stern through the wind and let it out on the other tack. Well, I knew I was in trouble when the stern came through the wind and I felt the jerk on the mainsheet. I sure didn't want to just let it go and risk tearing the mainsheet block off the track so I held on as it came over keeping the speed down somewhat using my body weight. It took me across the cockpit rather quickly and just as I was about to be flung into the leeward lifelimes I released the sheet and let it run. It still came up with a fairly good bang with me off balance and my wife asking, "are you Ok?". I was fine, just feeling a tad stupid for not checking our speed BEFORE I did my hand jibe routine. After we settled down I checked our speed. 6.2 kts wing and wing, mainsail with one reef! You can bet I won't make that mistake again.

Later that afternoon, after heaving to, we got going again with the 2nd reef in the main and the 130 headsail reefed to 100 beating hard into a rather good breeze. With the rail under much of the time we were having a ball as the gusts would put the entire side deck under. Good thing we closed the ports as they too were getting very wet. When all of a sudden from the lee side hidden by bimini we see two kids sitting on a jet ski about 20 feet away looking concerned. They ask," are you alright?" I say to them, "yes,couldn't be better!". They reply, "really?" The look on their faces was priceless. Here they thought they were coming upon a sailboat about to turn over and sink, I'm sure...

Today's forecast is for 30mph, tomorrow 40 mph. This has been the windest spring I can remember in 30 years of sailing in central Texas...
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Russell

Post by Russell »

Randy, I am not familiar with the 25D rigging, is there a winch for the mainsheet you can put a wrap around to avoid such a thing? Or is the mainsheet one of those setups that just has a cam cleat on a fiddle block?
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

Russell wrote:Randy, I am not familiar with the 25D rigging, is there a winch for the mainsheet you can put a wrap around to avoid such a thing? Or is the mainsheet one of those setups that just has a cam cleat on a fiddle block?
the latter. IF I had been paying attention, I'd have been pulling in the main some before turning and pulling in the remaining sheet as the stern goes thru the wind, letting it out as she came on the new tack. Doh! With end boom sheeting there is a lot of sheet to get in and out but I've done it before. You just have to pull like you mean it...AND be paying attention to boat speed!!! The other answer, is to do the 'chicken jibe' which I've also done before. And it's much much easier to get done and also easier as well. I've never had Serpah fail to tack even with nothing but the 130 headsail reefed to 100% in 45 kts! That day I did see a Catalina 27 almost go on the rocks after two failed attempts to tack before he jibed around... In high winds/heel angles Seraph will tack almost by herself if you simply let go of the tiller. I've had first timers end up un-intentionally tacking when beating because they failed to respond to the increase in helm caused by a big gust.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: beware of hand method

Post by Neil Gordon »

rtbates wrote:This past weekend I just about had my arm socket pulled out from jibing 'as usual'. Unfortunately the wind wasn't usual. It had built up quite a bit and having been sailing wing and wing for sometime I hadn't noticed how much it had increased.
I've noticed the same thing. You can muscle the boom to the centerline okay, but you can't keep it from running away once it's crossed over. Maybe it's the slowing of the boat as you remove the force of the main which increases the aparent wind.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
rtbates

Re: beware of hand method

Post by rtbates »

Neil Gordon wrote:
rtbates wrote:This past weekend I just about had my arm socket pulled out from jibing 'as usual'. Unfortunately the wind wasn't usual. It had built up quite a bit and having been sailing wing and wing for sometime I hadn't noticed how much it had increased.
I've noticed the same thing. You can muscle the boom to the centerline okay, but you can't keep it from running away once it's crossed over. Maybe it's the slowing of the boat as you remove the force of the main which increases the aparent wind.
Strange huh? I guess my only option is to sail smarter as I get older. According to some I SHOULD be getting smarter as I get older.. I know one thing that I now will never do again! So I suppose I am getting smarter!!
Randy 25D Seraph #161