Typhoon - Fractional v. Masthead Rigs

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

shinchman

Typhoon - Fractional v. Masthead Rigs

Post by shinchman »

I test sailed the Typhoon daysailor which has a masthead rig (i.e. jib reaches top of mast) but ended up buying a weekender (fractional rig). I am curious if anyone knows the considerations that lead to these two different sail configurations and what the tradeoffs are.

The daysailor has slightly lower displacement (1800 lbs) and slightly more sail area (157 sq ft at 100% Fore triangle) compared to the weekender (2000 lbs and 155 sq ft). You would think this would result in the daysailor being at least a little faster in most winds.

Might this configuration also result in the daysailor being able to point higher?
________
Lolol
Last edited by shinchman on Mar 14th, '11, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
Ned Crockett
Location: 1972 CD Typhoon Weekender #315, LADYBUG, Irvington, Va.

fractional vs masthead rigs

Post by Ned Crockett »

We have a number of Weekenders and Daysailers on Carters Creek, Va. where I live and race. There does not seem to be a difference in speed or pointing between the two rigs. Nine Tys entered last years Turkey Shoot Regatta with about an equal number of each rig. A Daysailer won on Sat. and a Weekender won on Sun. It seems to come down to the sailor not the boat. We have a Spring Series and Fall Series for Ty racing complete with engraved trophy. Since the racing began, the winners have all been Weekenders. I am sure a technical minded sailor on this site can give you a better understanding of the center of gravity, etc. of each boat and the resulting effects. I can only give you my observations and experiences. Hope you enjoy your Ty as much as I enjoy Ladybug.
Tod M

Ned, is the fractionally rigged mast

Post by Tod M »

flexible enough that mast bend (and thus sail shape) is controlled with an adjustable backstay?
Ned Crockett
Location: 1972 CD Typhoon Weekender #315, LADYBUG, Irvington, Va.

fractional vs masthead rigs

Post by Ned Crockett »

Tod: Yes, a rake or bend in the mast is possible with the fractional rig. It is called a 3/4 rig but looks more like 7/8. Adjustment is possible on all the Tys I have seen using the basic turnbuckle. I and my brother (also a Ty owner racer) keep a slight bend in and do not adjust it as conditions change. I suppose it is possible to add a quick adjustment device to the aft stay, but have never seen it on a Ty. I would be interested in hearing other comments as we have quite a competitive fleet here and are always looking for ways to improve performance. Ned
nprice
Location: Cape Dory Typhoon daysailor, "Pattie B Too" New Meadows River, ME.

Adjustable backstay

Post by nprice »

We have put adjustable backstays on some of the Typhoons locally in the New Meadows. Basically you shorten your backstay and make up the difference with a boom vang. You can than sail with tension when you want it, upwind and release it downwind or at anchor so you are not stressing your rigging when you are not sailing.Image
This is my Ty daysailor which has been modified, I can probably find a picture of the backstay with a search.
Nick Price
nprice
Location: Cape Dory Typhoon daysailor, "Pattie B Too" New Meadows River, ME.

backstay adjustment

Post by nprice »

Here is a view of the backstay with boomvang fitted.
Nick Price