28 cd engine remove

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

rdmac
Menominee, MI

28 cd engine remove

Post by rdmac »

any suggestions and/or tricks to remove my engine. I have a crack in the reverse gear housing that leaks water, so water pump sucks air, and less water goes thru engine water jacket.
How do I pull engine out from under sink and counter to lift with a chain fall?
Anyone have similar crack in gear housing? Mech at boat yd. plans on brazing.

thanks for any help.
Ron M.

Take it apart

Post by Ron M. »

I re-powered last year. Access was enhanced greatly by removing the entire port side counter and galley. Didn't take long and went back together easily. Your 28 my be different, but doable.
Pad and block a 4x4 across the companionway hatch opening and use a hoist or chainfall to lift engine up and forward and set it on skids. I used my boat hauler to crane the old engine out and lift the new one in.
________
Buy easy vape vaporizer
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:52, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Tranny housing

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

HI:
I didn't drain my transmission one winter and the housing cracked on my CD-28's MD7. I was able to remove and replace the tranny without pulling the engine. Not fun, but WAY easier than pulling the engine!
Good Luck,
Tony Jeske
Wayne Grenier

Post by Wayne Grenier »

Use the 4x4's across the companionway with a chain fall-Ive done it several times-if your motor has been in there since 1978 plan on cutting and replacing the prop shaft-then its just the motor mount nuts-the exhaust and water hoses, the linkages and the fuel line and the cable to the starter-you might as well consider replacing the fuel tanks as they come out through the engine opening and repainting and renewing the wiring and hoses etc-my motor is an MD 2B or Md11-so its the 24 horse one-fresh water cooled-so it was heavier and bigger than yours-
rdmac
Menominee, MI

Post by rdmac »

Thanx for the tip, so far I've disconnected everything including the prop shaft. Even the motormount nuts are loose. Where I'm stuck is how to lift and slide it forward from under the sink and countertop. The yard has a chain fall on a boom to lift it out of the cabin, but lifting it off the motormount bolts, and sliding it forward into the cabin looks daunting.
Q? What about removing the reverse gear housing without lifting out the engine. I really don't need the engine out, just the housing on the reverse gear 'cause it cracked and leaks......
Wayne Grenier

Post by Wayne Grenier »

I lifted the engine off its mounts with the chainfall and tapped the 4 x4's forward with a hammer and it came right out-it might help to have someone in the rear liftng the tranny and making sure your clear the mounts in the rear-they got it in somehow! its got to be able to come out!~
rdmac
Menominee, MI

Post by rdmac »

The lifting bracket on the diesel is back of the valve cover. Which is about 2ft. behind the leading edge of the sink in the galley....
Cannot attach a chain fall until its clear of the sink, meaning moving it forward about 2 ft.......without using the fall, also while lifting off the mounts.
I'm sure the engine was installed before the deck was attached, easy then....
rdmac
Menominee, MI

figured it out, very easy

Post by rdmac »

The solution was NOT to remove the engine from the motor mounts leaving them bolted to the stringers.
The answer was to unbolt the motor mounts from the stringers, and leave the engine attached to the mounts.
the mounts are a flat plate with two bolts threaded into the stringer. I removed the two bolts, but left it attached to the engine. Very easy to push/slide forward till the lifting eye came out from under the sink, where it was attached to a chain fall and hoisted right out thru the campanionway. the whole process took about 20 min. Piece 'o cake.
Wayne Grenier

Post by Wayne Grenier »

Now you know! your configuration was a little different than mine but that's how they got it in there!-now make sure you sort out the fuel tanks-the prop shaft-the stuffing box etc-Its a great confidence builder isn't it? the md 11 weighs around 400lbs-its a monster-but its been running for 20 years now since I had it rebuilt! I am out of here for a sail as soon as the fog burns off and the wind comes up!