How to rig jib downhaul 4 Typhoon?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

shinchman

How to rig jib downhaul 4 Typhoon?

Post by shinchman »

This holiday weekend I made my maiden voyage in Puffin, a 1983 Typhoon weekender. I bought it last fall and she overwintered in her old Boothbay Harbor boatyard. After weeks of painting and repairs (boat is beautiful), we finally launched and I did a shakedown cruise with my daughter in Boothbay on Sat. The next day I sailed it singlehanded to her new home on the New Meadows River (9 hrs on the water - around Cape Newagen, Seguin Is., and Cape Small to upper Casco Bay). Saw porpoises, seals, and gulls. No puffins; and hardly any other boats this early in the season. 8-14 knot winds, no swells over 1' until the end of the day. Perfect.

The test sail in Boothbay however, was a lot rougher. Not having a roller-furling jib, I quickly realized I need to rig a jib downhaul so I can get the sail down from inside the cockpit when I am sailing alone. So the next day I just tied a spare line to the jib head and lead it down forewards of the spreaders and then aft, through the working jib fairlead (was sailing with the Genoa) and tied it off there. That worked well enough to get the jib down at the end of the day but only about 2/3rds. There's got to be a better way - hoping one of the pro's on this list can give me step by step directions. Even better if no drilling or harware is involved!

Also, since I picked up the mooring in a stiff and rising breeze, I then also had the problem of the jib on the deck in the way of the mooring cleat.

Any suggestions?

Will have many more questions later (replacing turnbuckle, self steering device, corkscrew roll in a following sea....). In the meantime, I am one Happy Sailor!

Steve Hinchman
________
Vaporizer store
Last edited by shinchman on Feb 11th, '11, 07:40, edited 1 time in total.
Tod M

I find that....

Post by Tod M »

if I just tie the downhaul to the jib halyard, when pulling down the top hank wants to roll over and bind, making it tough/impossible to get the head all the way down. So, I capture the downhaul in the top couple of hanks along with the forestay. That keeps everything in line and smooth.

As for hardware, that will vary depending on your preferences and existing hardware. I put a micro block at the tack and a couple of fairleads on the deck and then a cam cleat with fairlead at the cockpit coaming, on the port side near the jib halyard (which is run to the cockpit).

On my boat, the jib halyard is run to the cockpit but the main halyard is at the mast.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

My comments are those of a "tadpole"/rookie sailor.

I adopted the suggestions of several (many) on this board. When I assumed temporary care and custody of "S/V Tadpole", rather than install a roller/furler, I installed a jib downhaul. The downhaul line is attached to the jib halyard's "snap shackle". It then runs down to a small single block with "D shackle' attached to the "bowsprit". There are 3 holes in the brass bowsprit on my Ty. One for the jib's tack shackle, one for the downhaul shackle and one extra (for the spinnaker's tack shackle :?: ) The jib downhaul line then runs through/from the small block and through the fairlead on the coachroof to the jib halyard's horn cleat on the port side of the coachroof.

I have only used this set up a few times, but it has worked well so far. When dousing sails, I come head to wind, uncleat the jib downhaul and jib halyard at the same time from the same cleat and pull on downhaul as I ease out the jib halyard. Once the jib is down, I lower the main and affix 1-2 sail ties to keep it off the deck, et .

I then go forward to gather the jib and wrap a section of the downhaul line around the jib and loosely attach the line to the bow cleat. This keeps the jib fairly neat and tidy (and on deck :!: ).

I then start the motor and motor in to the mooring field, grab the mooring stick float from the cockpit, turn off the O/B, and carry the mooring line forward. I remove the downhaul line from the bow cleat and attach the mooring line.

I then go back to the cockpit, sit, relax, have a bottle of water and then start cleaning up and making things ship shape.

Eventually, I may install a roller furler, but so far the above is working well.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
D Rush

Post by D Rush »

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor" is sounding more and more like an "confident sailor"
Denis
nprice
Location: Cape Dory Typhoon daysailor, "Pattie B Too" New Meadows River, ME.

Welcome to the New Meadows

Post by nprice »

Hi Steve,
Tod and Sea Hunt seemed to have covered your query very well but I just wanted to welcome your new vessel to the New Meadows. Where are you moored? We are currently still in London but will be at the mouth of the Basin in just under 3 weeks for our annual 3 month sojourn. We have a Typhoon daysailor, Pattie B Too and there are a number of other Typhoons in the immediate area. Our dock should be in by now, just North of the cabin, please stop by anytime after June 16th for a cup of English tea!
Nick (207 389 1976)
Nick Price
shinchman

Thanks and Location

Post by shinchman »

I am headed to Coastal Marine on the way home today to pickup a mini-block and chord for my new jib downhaul. Thanks for the advice (but they are forecasting gale winds for the weekend)

Nick, we are moored off Foster's Point, midway along the middle ground (above the Gurnet). Look forward to sailing with the other Ty's in the area, and will perhaps bring my girls for Tea on the water someday!

Steve
________
Yamaha dx5