Nickel Anti-Seize

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Nickel Anti-Seize

Post by Parfait's Provider »

At http://www.sacskyranch.com/antiseize.htm there is an interesting piece on anti-seize. Looks like we ought to be using nickel-based compounds on our stainless and zinc-based for stainless screws into aluminum. Should I toss that lanolin or just rub it on my hands? Comments??
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
John R.
Florida

Post by John R. »

I know this thread should not be in this category but wanted to let you know by all means you should keep the lanolin, especially Lanocote (brand) great for adjustable gear like turnbuckles or anything on deck that you may disassemble now and then. Not messy or staining like never seize compounds. The best never seize made is simply Bostik Marine (used it for over 30 years) or their newer Bostik Mariner's. Use these on fixed infrequently disassembled components.
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

This website is but one persons opinion.

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

Who is this person, and is there any collaboration on the opinion quoted.
What are the conditions that the sample will be subjected to?

Personally, for non engine items on boats, I prefer Tef-Gel for for most items, but like the lanolin on the turnbuckles. My preference.
Maine Sail

Re: This website is but one persons opinion.

Post by Maine Sail »

Mark Yashinsky wrote:Who is this person, and is there any collaboration on the opinion quoted.

Personally, for non engine items on boats, I prefer Tef-Gel for for most items, but like the lanolin on the turnbuckles. My preference.
I agree and I'm guessing someone at that link sells a never seize prodct.....

I've too have been using Tef-Gel and the stuff works! Never-Seize products are risky as they mostly contain metals and you can get into galvanic situations using them. I've even used Tef-Gel in high heat situations and it still holds up fairly well... Prior to Tef-Gel I used plumbers pipe dope made with teflon and also never had an issue..

P.S. I'm very curious as to how Bostik makes the claims they do about galvanic corrosion when the product contains aluminum, copper and graphite all items that can lead to dissimilar metals galvanic corrosion??

From the Bostik Site:
This unique product prevents rust, galling and galvanic corrosion in salt water, salt air and high-moisture environments. It is a proven combination of copper flakes, graphite, and aluminum paste suspended in grease specially formulated for marine applications to protect up to 1800ºF. This product was developed from years of experience working with marine engineers to provide superior parts protection in applications exposed to salt water. Never-Seez® Marine Grade is the best choice for protection both above and below the water line. Tested to MIL-A-907."[/b]
Last edited by Maine Sail on May 4th, '08, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Re: This website is but one persons opinion.

Post by Oswego John »

[quote=]Who is this person, and is there any collaboration on the opinion quoted.
[/quote]

I really hope that I'm not sticking my neck into the noose by saying this, but.....

I've been following this forum for quite some time. I have to say that, in my opinion, John R.s answers are rated very high in my book. He comes up with some amazing replies, spot on, derived from experience in the business. The way I look at it, if John R says it, bet the farm on it.

I guess that at this time, it would be okay to mention some of my other unsung heroes of solid information from days past. Larry D M from Superior and Tom from Canbria and maybe a half dozen or more guys and gals. A tip of the hat to all.

I don't know if it is collaboration or not, but I have been using Bostik Never Seez since I can't remember how long. It was long before teflon was discovered and made available. It never let me down. I'm not saying that Tef-Gel is no good. It, too, is an excellent product.

BTW, there is a rather new product on the market called Mariners Choice Never Seez, made especially for the boating industry. There is another newer product that I'm looking into, called Hylomar. I'll probably never get to use it. The can of Never Seez that I use is like the Energizer Bunny. It just keeps going on and on.

O J
Maine Sail

Ok but...

Post by Maine Sail »

Bostik makes claims about preventing galvanic corrosion then they put in Graphite (most noble) and at the top of the list near gold for resistance to galvanic corrosion. Then they put copper in it which is about smack dab in the middle of the galvanic table and aluminum close to the bottom. From a galvanic corrosion perspective this is quite odd?

The whole thing about galvanic corrosion is the distance metals are apart on the galvanic scale..? Even roofers know not to use galvanized nails in coper flashing...??

So I'm putting my shaft and coupling together or iron and stainless steel and now I'm supposed to slather it with copper, aluminum and graphite and attach a bronze prop to the other end and put a zinc on it too?? That's an awful messy galvanic pudding..

If I had to use a never-seize I suppose I used a graphite or nickel based product as they the closest to Stainless and bronze on the galvanic table.
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles