Water Heater Replacement for CD33

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Ronn

Water Heater Replacement for CD33

Post by Ronn »

I've searched for threads on the subject but found nothing newer than 2002. In that thread an isotemp was recommended but the measurements of the unit described in the thread do not agree with anything currently in the Defender catalog.

An Atlantic was said to fit but I'm having trouble finding information or dealer info.

Is there any consensus on good replacements for my rusted-out Raritan?

Thanks!

Ron
S/V Audacity -- CD33
Charleston, SC
Russell

Post by Russell »

On my CD36 I replaced my water heater just a couple months ago with the isotemp "square" model, it fit great and can be mounted in a variety of ways which I think you will have no problem finding a nice spot for it. And being narrow on one dimension means you can pull it in and out of any locker without solving a geometry puzzle first. I am extreamly happy with mine.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Jeff Barnes

Post by Jeff Barnes »

Ron,

I replaced the Raritan in my CD36 with an Atlantic model 6E. Both electic and heat exchanger off the engine. I really like this unt and have had no problems in over 5 years. It's square and sits nicely on the shelf in the port locker. I purchased it from Defender, I believe. Shouldn't be too difficult to find a dealer.

Jeff
Ronn

Post by Ronn »

Thanks, Russell. I like the comparison to a geometry puzzle. Spot on.

That's one of the ones I'm looking at but it still looks like a problematic fit if I try to put it in the same location as the old heater.

Any CD33 owners that have solved this puzzle?
Ronn

Post by Ronn »

Jeff Barnes wrote:Ron,

I replaced the Raritan in my CD36 with an Atlantic model 6E. Both electic and heat exchanger off the engine. I really like this unt and have had no problems in over 5 years. It's square and sits nicely on the shelf in the port locker. I purchased it from Defender, I believe. Shouldn't be too difficult to find a dealer.

Jeff
Jeff, I'm looking at the current Defender catalog and they no longer carry Atlantic. I'm still looking for an Atlantic dealer as that seems like a low-cost option.

Thanks for the help.
Jeff Barnes

Post by Jeff Barnes »

Ron,

This might help: Atlantic Marine Products is located in Richmond, VA. Their water heaters are sold through Ocean Link which is located in Portsmouth, RI. They can also be ordered, I believe on-line at Ocean Link's web site.

The model that I have is the T6E. It is polished stainless on the outside; 6 gal capacity (ample given the temperature the water gets to...hot!);and has a 115V electric heating element built-in. All plumbing connections are NPT (threaded).

Jeff
Jeff Barnes

Post by Jeff Barnes »

Ron,

Almost forgot, price is about $600.

Jeff
Michael Ellis

Water heater replacement for CD33

Post by Michael Ellis »

I replaced my Raritan 6 gallon water heater with a Torrid 6 gallon model. The overall dimensions were essentially the same as the Raritan, and I had to install the replacement in the same manner I used to remove the Raritan. I had to remove the top and bottom of the casing and squeeze the casing cylinder to get the tank to pass through the opening of the lazarette. I had a little more difficulty getting myself to do this with the new tank than I did with the old, but it survived with no apparent harm.
Ronn

Post by Ronn »

Jeff Barnes wrote:Ron,

This might help: Atlantic Marine Products is located in Richmond, VA. Their water heaters are sold through Ocean Link which is located in Portsmouth, RI. They can also be ordered, I believe on-line at Ocean Link's web site. ... [deletia]

Jeff
Thanks!
Ronn

Post by Ronn »

Thank you, Michael. Another alternative I'll check.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Last edited by Cathy Monaghan on May 4th, '08, 17:45, edited 2 times in total.
Ronn

Post by Ronn »

Thank you, Cathy.

Clearly, the master of search that I am not.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Ronn wrote:Thank you, Cathy.

Clearly, the master of search that I am not.
I should be, I'm the webmaster. Anyway, be sure to look at this one:
http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?p=74319

Scroll through it and you'll find photos of our hotwater heater/tank replacement aboard our CD32. We removed the old 6 Gallon Raritan and replaced it with a 7.9 Gallon Volvo Penta QL Water Heater that we purchased from great-water.com.

http://www.great-water.com/pages/QL/Wat ... ater.shtml

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Ronn

Installed an IsoTemp

Post by Ronn »

Sorry to take so long to wrap this up but my laptop died while I was on the boat installing my new water heater. Various warranty issues delayed the fix. Now it's all shiny-new again.

I installed an IsoTemp and I've very happy with it. As expected, the worst part of the job was getting the old heater out. I now have a more efficient unit and more room below.

Two questions. Is the bypass valve standard on water heaters now? What a great idea. I don't have to risk scalding a guest to keep the water hot enough to not quickly run cold.

Secondly, is it also standard to provide a wall plug for power now instead of wiring the unit directly into the breaker panel? I wired a socket for the plug in case this is now considered best practice. If not, I'll go back and wire the unit directly to its breaker.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the thread. The Cape Dory community is great both in person and online. Unfortunately here, I can't offer you a sundowner for the help.

Cheers