Ok Dumb question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

Ok Dumb question

Post by drysuit2 »

If I have two, relatively the same age, combo Batteries, and I want to connect them; do I connect them in series or in parallel? at some point in the future I will buy and separate, a deep cycle, and, a starter battery. but for now I would like to connect the two Combination Batteries I have. Up till this point I have been switching back and forth between them. Or should I leave well enough alone?
Russell

Re: Ok Dumb question

Post by Russell »

drysuit2 wrote:If I have two, relatively the same age, combo Batteries, and I want to connect them; do I connect them in series or in parallel? at some point in the future I will buy and separate, a deep cycle, and, a starter battery. but for now I would like to connect the two Combination Batteries I have. Up till this point I have been switching back and forth between them. Or should I leave well enough alone?
If the batteries are 6 volts each, wiring them in series. If they are 12 volts each wire them parallel.

Be careful about relying on a single bank of batteries(unless you have a hand start outboard for main propultion)! I would stick with switching between the two and leave well enough alone personally.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
tmsc

Battery question

Post by tmsc »

I have to agree with Russell. Also, if you connect the batteries together and they are not identical batteries, or if one has a little something wrong with it, you will shorten the life of both. If they are both of the same voltage you would probably be better off with a battery switch with an "All" or "Both" position which would parallel them for emergencies. Good luck.

Fair winds,
Lee
S/V Solomon Lee
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

I also agree with the others. On KAYLA, I have always used dual-purpose deep-cycle batteries. They are of different ages (so far 4 to 5 years is my typical battery life expectancy with minimal maintenance). I always use the "newest" for starting, switch to "all" while motoring and then sail on the older battery. This has served us very well for the last 6+ years. While KAYLA does have an shore power charger installed, we rarely use it as her 75 watt solar panel has always kept the batteries well charged. I also don't buy high dollar batteries, just the most reasonable dual marine batteries I can find (ie: max capacity for group 27, I think).

Hope this helps!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

mgphl52 wrote:I always use the "newest" for starting, switch to "all" while motoring and then sail on the older battery.
Be careful switching while the engine is running and the batteries are charging unless your switch safely allows for that.

I've always started using both and charge both while the engine is running. When sailing I balance battery usage by switching to 1 in the odd months and 2 in the even months. (Convention is often 1 on odd days and 2 on even days but that doesn't work when I'm living on board with days between charges.)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
drysuit2

Post by drysuit2 »

Thank you all
drysuit2

Post by drysuit2 »