Storage ideas?? Locker hooks & shelf webbing?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

henry hey
Location: Former owner: CD25 - 'Homeward Bound' hull #711. Now sailing with C. Brey aboard Sabre 28 Delphine

Storage ideas?? Locker hooks & shelf webbing?

Post by henry hey »

Hello folks,

I'm hoping to optimize the small space that I have available on my CD25.

Some of my ideas included trying to have hooks in the my cockpit lockers to hang coiled lines rather than have them in a crate (as I do now). I am also interested in attaching some sort of webbing that would go from my side shelf to the headliner so that if I store things on that shelf they don't fly off underway.

Does anyone have any thoughts on either of these ideas? How can I attach hooks in my locker?

Any other smart storage ideas for the small (a realtor would call it 'cozy') spaces on a CD25?

-henry
rtbates

gear hammocks

Post by rtbates »

My favorite is gear hammocks as they turn air into storage space..and can hold virtually anything from clothes to unions. Hard heavy objects need not apply!

My cockpit line holders are screwed to a piece of wood that is attached to the inside of the cockpit with 4200, NOT 5200!
Randy 25D Seraph #161
mgphl52

Cockpit locker "lids"

Post by mgphl52 »

I saw this in a magazine, I believe. They glued some velcro-like fasteners to the inside of the lids for a few handy, general purpose lines.
On my Typhoons, I would tie several plastic wash tubs end-to-end and slide them from the cuddy cabin onto the "quarter berths" for miscellaneous storage. These could be easily accessed from the cockpit or the cabin.

One day, I would like to redesign the drawers in KAYLA's v-berth for more optimal storage, but first we have to move to Biloxi... (gawd, I hate moving!)

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
chase

gear hammocks

Post by chase »

What's a good source for these?

Chase
mgphl52

Defender has them!

Post by mgphl52 »

s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: gear hammocks

Post by Neil Gordon »

rtbates wrote:..and can hold virtually anything from clothes to unions.
Do the Teamsters know about this?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
mgphl52

Re: gear hammocks

Post by mgphl52 »

rtbates wrote:..and can hold virtually anything from clothes to unions. Hard heavy objects need not apply!
Maybe he meant soft, light-weight weddings?
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
henry hey
Location: Former owner: CD25 - 'Homeward Bound' hull #711. Now sailing with C. Brey aboard Sabre 28 Delphine

hammocks

Post by henry hey »

Yeah. . I've known about the hammocks for some time. I guess I have avoided them because I want to really be able to use that shelf to it's full extent. If I put hammocks in that space, the shelf space is sort of wasted -- and the CD25 doesn't really have the headroom to put them anywhere but the side.

My initial idea was to get webbing that would fasten (snap?) in place running from the shelf to the headliner -- so that ANYTHING on the shelf would be kept on the shelf.

h
Steve Laume

Eye straps and hammocks

Post by Steve Laume »

I bolted or screwed little brass eye straps in various places where I might want gear hammocks. Some, like those along the sides of the vee berth stay in place most of the time. I have a set attached to the liner over the shelves that holds a bunch of stuff in addition to what is on the shelves themselves. I also have a couple of eyes at either end of the grab rails down below. These are only used when extra stowage is needed while cruising. I can also clip a cloths line to them. All of my gear hammocks have brass hooks looped through the ends. When I want to hang one, I simply clip it in. I love those things, Steve.
aja

Homemade nets

Post by aja »

I made custom nets with shock cord edges for aja. They run across the whole edge of the shelves in the cabin and v-berth. They are attached to the shelf and the headliner with little brass cup hooks - about every 2 feet I think, so you can just unhook if you have something big to get in or out. It's amazing how much stuff you can get on those shelves with a net in front. We really keep tons of stuff there (OK - you know tons for a CD25). Plus I clip tote bags to them when we are underway.

You may be able to use a gear hammock in the same way - by opening it up and attaching it the same way.

I also made net shelves for the hanging locker. They hold a lot more than regular shelves and let air circulate.

We have a porta potty and there is a closet rod behind it - I don't know if this is from a PO or not - but that is where I hang my extra lines.

I will try to post a photo if I can find one. But I just love to tie nets -maybe I was a fisherman in a previous life.
s/v aja
1977 cd25 #530
Fairhaven, MA

NE Fleet Member since 2002
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Here's an idea.

Post by Carter Brey »