"Topping Lift" on Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

"Topping Lift" on Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender

Post by Sea Hunt »

Here is a sailing question that will show how very, very little I know about sailing generally and Ty Weekenders specifically.

Yesterday, thinking I was actually going to be able to raise sails (not meant to be) I walked through the procedure I would follow in raising sails. In doing so I tried to generally walk through and follow the procedures I have used when raising sails on the Harbor 20s I pretend to race on Saturdays. Raise the main, then raise the jib.

In mentally walking through the process yesterday I was reminded of the 6"-8" piece of metal wire that is affixed from the backstay to the aft end of the boom. It appears to act like a topping lift to keep the boom off the deck.

Question: When is the proper time to remove this from the boom :?: I am assuming it is after the mainsail is raised so that the raised mainsail helps to keep the boom off the deck.

If someone can walk me through the process and sequencing, I would be very grateful.

The same question when returning and dropping sails. When is the proper time to reattach this wire to the boom :?:

Thanks,
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Gary H

Topping LIft

Post by Gary H »

My Typhoon has the metal pig tail plus a topping lift. A rope which goes from the end of the boom to a pulley on top of the mast and back down the mast. I release the metal pig tail prior to raising the sail as I think I should not want a suddent breeze to hit the raised main while the boom is fixed and cannon swing. My boom stays high due the the topping lift which is released after I raise the main.
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Re: "Topping Lift" on Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender

Post by RIKanaka »

Sea Hunt wrote:
Question: When is the proper time to remove this from the boom :?: I am assuming it is after the mainsail is raised so that the raised mainsail helps to keep the boom off the deck.

If someone can walk me through the process and sequencing, I would be very grateful.

The same question when returning and dropping sails. When is the proper time to reattach this wire to the boom :?:

Thanks,
That's what I do, however, whether that's the proper time or not is another matter!

Likewise I clip it into the boom just before I drop the mainsail.

Obviously, you want to be pointing directly upwind in both instances.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
seajunkie

CD25 Topping lift

Post by seajunkie »

plus a topping lift. A rope which goes from the end of the boom to a pulley on top of the mast
I'm suprised that the typhoon has this. My CD25 has a topping lift that seems to terminate at the top of the mast with no pully.

I raise the sail then release the topping lift when the sail is up. This keeps the boom from falling on to the deck.
Gary H

Topping Lift vs Pigtail

Post by Gary H »

I find that the topping lift and the pigtail serve different functions.
The topping lift keeps the boom from falling on my wife's head but lets if swing if a gust comes by. The pigtail, on the other hand, not only holds the boom up but also restricts swinging.
mgphl52

My CD28 also has the "blockless" topping lift

Post by mgphl52 »

On my second Typhoon, I added a substitute topping lift by attaching a small cheek block as close as possible to the top of the mast. Combined with a boom vang or preventer, an easily adjustable topping lift can be invaluable when sailing down wind in light air. The two together help keep the boom from bouncing, especially when some motor-boater feels the need for a close run-by with no regard to their wake...

On KAYLA, I am planing to solve this with a Garhauer solid vang, when the kitty can afford it.

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

My S/V Tadpole does not have a topping lift. At least I do not think she does. :roll: As I recall, she has three lines at the mast. One is the jib halyard; one is the main halyard and one is, I THINK, the spinnaker halyard.

Gary, I agree with your comment that raising the main while the "pigtail" (that is a new nautical term I learned from this thread :wink: ) is still attached to the aft end of the boom poses a potential risk factor if a strong wind hits before you release the pigtail. However, because I do not have a topping lift to keep the boom off the deck before raising the main, I am not sure I have any other option.

Question: Assuming the third line is/was intended for a spinnaker halyard, can I nevertheless use this line as a temporary topping lift :?:

The prior owner has been terrific about offering suggestions, etc. He is a very experienced sailor and suggested the following:

Set the main into the wind, ease the main sheet a bit, haul away, make the halyard fast and then release the wire lift [a/k/a "the pigtail"]. When striking the main head into the wind, ease the main sheet a bit, hook up the lift, tighten the main sheet and then lower the main.

I guess I will give this a try in very light winds and hope I do not get a "knock down".

I will also consider the following options that I should have thought of while she was in the boatyard getting her bottom painted and rudder fixed:

1. Installing a topping lift. Question. Is there room at the top of the mast of a Ty Weekender for another line and dedicated block :?:

2. Installing lazy jacks. We have these are some of the Harbor 20s I race. We tighten up the lazy jacks before lowering the main. The lazy jacks not only keep the mainsail from spilling all over the deck but they also support the boom once the main is down. It would have been easy to install lazy jacks while the mast was unstepped and lying in boatyard. If only I had a brain :oops:
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Steve Laume

Add a topping lift

Post by Steve Laume »

Robert, I put another pin in the mast head just forward of the back stay to add a block for a topping lift on my old Ty. If you think raising and lowering the main with that silly pig tail is a pain wait till you try to reef with that arrangement. It never seemed like there was enough sail to worry about dealing with the negative sides of installing lazy jacks on the typhoon. Nice boat you have, Steve.
Dave H

Post by Dave H »

Hi Seahunt,
I'm a big fan of the topping lift line. On both my Ty and Ty Sr these lines have originated at the mast head with a pad eye. They go to a block at the aft end of the boom to a cleat. I think they are a safety factor because you don't have to remember anything before easing the main halyard ie dousing or reefing. And I really agree with Michael that a properly trimmed topping lift greatly improves light air performance, both windward and leeward.
Dave
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Spin halyard as topping lift

Post by Neil Gordon »

>>Question: Assuming the third line is/was intended for a spinnaker halyard, can I nevertheless use this line as a temporary topping lift<<

Forget what it's called. If you have a line that can go from the boom to the masthead and down to the deck there's not much more to know: (i) is the line and block of sufficient size for the load and (ii) do you have fair leads so you avoid chafe.

I can't think of any other issues but I look forward to the comments of others.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
D Rush

Post by D Rush »

If the halyard is a spinnaker halyard it would have a a snap shackle on the forward end of the halyard.
Denis
seajunkie

Post by seajunkie »

On both my Ty and Ty Sr these lines have originated at the mast head with a pad eye.
Where do you stow the end when you disconnect it to sail? If I clip mine to the backstay it flops around too much. I think that I need to get a pad eye or something to fasten to the backstay to fasten the topping lift to when it is disconnected. Since I can't torque it down it still might flop around a bit.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

seajunkie wrote:Where do you stow the end when you disconnect it to sail?
No need to disconnect. Just ease the topping lift so it's no longer supporting the boom.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

OK, sometimes I think I am over-thinking issues that may not be issues at all. I have another "thought" on the "pigtail" issue and when to release it.

My situation may be different from others. I am on a mooring. I will not, under any circumstances, be sailing off my mooring. I will motor out into Biscayne Bay and once I am sure I am far away from anything and everyone, I will then raise sails.

Given this scenario, it seems to me (remember, "I am not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree" :( ), that I can safely leave the "pigtail" (there has to be a better term for this piece of sailing equipment :!: ) attached to the boom until I have fully raised the mainsail. The boom and mainsail will be held up by the main halyard. Then I can safely unbuckle the "pigtail".

Regardless of wind direction or strength, with the main & boom "tied down" over the center of the cockpit by the "pigtail", the only thing that should happen is my Ty will simply point directly into the wind (I am told this is called "in irons". Quaint :wink: ).

This seems logical and simple so I KNOW there is an obvious flaw in this reasoning. I am hopeful members of this board will quickly point out the flaw(s) before I try this tomorrow or Tuesday - depending on wind conditions.

The more I think about it, this procedure may be what the prior owner (a very experienced sailor who loved his Ty) was trying to explain to me. Of course, given my slow brain, it took a few days to sink in.

I am told the sailing club is very busy on weekends so I do not plan to practice my mooring skills today and will wait until tomorrow. One of the many benefits of retirement. :wink:
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Dick Villamil

topping lift on Ty

Post by Dick Villamil »

Under no circumstances would I try to sail or motor for longer distances with the pigtail clipped to the boom. This is for holding the boom while reefing or at the mooring. In fact I am going to add a real topping lift to Victoria to use while reefing (around 15-20 kts) as soon as I uncover the boat for the year. The reasons are thet a sudden gust could catch the baggy main and get you out of control very quickly whereas if it was the main supporting the boom you would just have the sail flog or the boom move to leeward. The pigtain prevents the furled main and boom from bouncing around while keeping it out of our "heads" way. I recommend that you practice sailing on and off the mooring - it is easy - just get up some way before attempting to tack and all would be fine. This will help in an emergency in the future. Also after you master this maneuver you will even practice saililng up to a dock with everyone watching in full confidence that everything will go perfectly!!! Just furl or drop the jib so it is out of the way. I find that my Ty is so much easier to sail to the mooring or even dock than my 34' boat that I actually prefer saililng the Ty since I am in more control of it. Practice, practice, practice .... Enjoy your Ty - I really do ...