Water in the cockpit of CD Typhoon Weekender

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Gary H

What's Wrong with This Picture?

Post by Gary H »

We're all here stuck behind computers (going on about hoses), while Robert is probably out sailing his heart out.
mgphl52

Sail On, Robert!

Post by mgphl52 »

Hot DAMN for Robert!!! I sure hope he is out sailing!

Both of my prior Typhoon's also had hoses going straight to the closest seacocks. I sort of like the idea of crossing the hoses, but that would consume a lot of space. Hmmm, if I took the Volvo out of KAYLA, there would be plenty of room to cross the hoses... ;-) Nah, bad idea!

-michael (who's already enjoying Miller (Lite) Time!)
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Wow, gone for a few hours and a deluge of posts :!: I am humbled and grateful.

I spent most of the day on S/V Tadpole. Unfortunately, no sailing :!: :(

I had planned to spend some time practising dropping and picking up mooring ball and then head out into Biscayne Bay and raise sails for the first time. Not meant to be. Fairly strong winds covered the mooring field along with a significant surface wind and current. I did not want to chance hitting another moored sailboat while still "on probation" and awaiting decision on membership application to sailing club. :oops:

I got a lot done on board however, in between some rain showers.

Someone suggested a 4' stick pole to attach to mooring line for easier pick up. DONE

Oswego John suggested using a level to determine fore/aft tilt if any. DONE. With small tool kit in forward cockpit area along with one jib with sheets the cockpit is almost perfectly level fore/aft AND port/starboard. Surprising. I also looked at her from club dinghy at a distance. There may be a very, very slight tilt to stern, if at all when viewed from side. Difficult to tell because of rough water today.

I will look again (and check level again) once my new Danforth anchor (14 lb), chain (1/4" 20') and rode (3/8" 150') arrive from Defender. The total weight of these items should be about 20-22 lbs. While on mooring, I plan to keep these items in a large plastic container up forward in cabin V berth.

When I boarded S/V Tadpole the cockpit was bone dry. There was some water in both cockpit drains. I used plunger to attempt to push out water. Some gurgling and water appeared to go down a little. I did not want to add sea water to cockpit as was suggested. It's sort of like the philosophy at jump school. Why are we jumping out of a perfectly good airplane :?: Why am I pouring sea water into a bone dry sailboat :?:

I hope to clarify in this post the configuration and positioning of the drain hoses. Both hoses are BELOW the cockpit floor and just aft of the cabin entry way. They are both tight 360 degree rotations (which I think is a part of the issue as suggested by Dean A. and others). I think the upper portion of the hoses MAY be at or a little above sea level. Difficult for me to judge accurately. The hoses do NOT extend into the area below the cockpit seats. In fact, I think the 360 degree loops are so tight that the hose from the port (or starboard) drain hole/scupper will not reach to the opposite thru hull seacock.

I have also thought about Oswego John's idea of a boom tent while at mooring. This may help to avoid water build up in the cockpit and be of some small protection to teak that prior owner keep in absolute Bristol condition. :!:

My plan right now is NOT to worry about this issue. I will keep a small plunger on board and the next time I am aboard S/V Tadpole with water in the cockpit I will use the plunger to try to push out the water through the scuppers and see if it also "pushes out" any obstructions in the hoses. Eventually, I may reconfigure the hoses.

I will NOT be diving under the hull in the mooring field anytime soon. As I was rowing one of the club dinghys back to the dock this afternoon, I saw two club officials staring intently into the mangroves adjacent to the club. I asked if they were looking for (or at) the alligator. They quickly (too quickly) said "no". :roll:

All else appears ship shape on S/V Tadpole. She is ready for her sails to be raised by me and for some fun sailing. Saturdays and Sundays are very busy at the club. My plan now, weather permitting (less than 8-10 kts E), is to practice dropping and picking up mooring single handed (3-4 times) on Monday and then head out to Biscayne Bay to raise sails Monday (or Tuesday at the latest).

Thanks to everyone for suggestions about drainage issue. For a dumb fart who is mostly brain dead this board is an unbelievable source of information, encouragement and support. I am very grateful to everyone.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
wingreen

curly drinking straws

Post by wingreen »

It occurs to me that these theories could be tested with one of those curly drinking straws kids use to add a little entertainment value to a simple glass of pop.
oldragbaggers

Try a hose

Post by oldragbaggers »

We used to clear our cockpit drains by sticking a garden hose in the drain and turning on the water full blast. It worked for us very well. If it doesn't you have a bigger problem than you think. (We also crossed our hoses and I don't recall any big loops.)
Becky
Lance & Becky Williams
Happily retired and cruising aboard our dreamboat, Anteris
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/anteris/
https://www.facebook.com/oldragbaggers
Dean Abramson

Crossing

Post by Dean Abramson »

My first boat, a Seaforth Coastal Cruiser, was about the same size as a Ty, and it had the crossed hoses. I cannot remember how the 25D was. The 31 hoses do not cross, but the cockpit sole is well above the waterline.

You would need more hose to cross them. But I think it might work on a Ty.
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Picture of hose/seacock

Post by RIKanaka »

Just for your reference, I've cross-referenced a link to a photo from an earlier thread which shows the original factory installation:

[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-1/1 ... pDrain.JPG[/img]

Someone would really have to work hard to install a loop higher than the cockpit sole.

Crossing your hoses may improve drainage. It will definitely make the installation easier by avoiding hose-kinking issue, but pre-bent hose will also avoid this problem.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
John Vigor

Shark attack in San Diego

Post by John Vigor »

Sea Hunt wrote:Sharks do not bother me. I love diving with them, although they are very shy and it is difficult to get near them.
They're not ALL very shy, Robert. Be careful.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hvS7 ... gD9094F2G0

John Vigor
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Mr. Vigor:

Your observation is well taken. Great whites are probably the only sharks I do not have video of in the water. I frankly never had a desire to get close up video of great whites. Not sure why. :wink: The incident off San Diego was unfortunate, but very rare. Many years ago I did some diving and swimming near San Diego. Never gave shark attacks any thought. Of course, I was young and dumb. :roll: Now, I am old and dumb. :(

RIKinaka:

Thanks for the photo. If I decide to reconfigure the hoses, I may try to find one that is similar to what you have. I would prefer this to crossing the hoses as I think crossing them will take away space for a "some-day-to-be-installed" small battery.

Also, my seacock valves do not appear to be as robust as yours. The lever is not brass but rather a small metal "stick" sort of like what is used on water main line pipes going into a house. I also do not have backing plates. The marine surveyor looked at these sea cocks and thru hulls carefully (at my request) and said they were fine. At the next haul out I may, nevertheless, replace them with more robust valves and install backing plates.

I attended my first sailing club meeting last night. I was accepted into membership and I learned the secret members' handshake. :) When I told the membership committee I recently purchased a Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender, several older sailors smiled and nodded their heads approvingly.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Post by RIKanaka »

Sea Hunt wrote:
RIKinaka:

Thanks for the photo. If I decide to reconfigure the hoses, I may try to find one that is similar to what you have. I would prefer this to crossing the hoses as I think crossing them will take away space for a "some-day-to-be-installed" small battery.

Also, my seacock valves do not appear to be as robust as yours. The lever is not brass but rather a small metal "stick" sort of like what is used on water main line pipes going into a house. I also do not have backing plates. The marine surveyor looked at these sea cocks and thru hulls carefully (at my request) and said they were fine. At the next haul out I may, nevertheless, replace them with more robust valves and install backing plates.
Robert,

The picture is of Greg Ross' (I believe) '85 Typhoon. I "lifted" the photo from another post. They are Spartan (true) seacocks, with a backing plate against the hull through a cut-out in the liner - apparently the original factory installation. I bought a couple of these seacocks in good used condition and plan to replace my "plumbing" ball-valves at some later date.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Dick Villamil

Ty cocpit drains

Post by Dick Villamil »

The photo by Dean is excellent. I had a problem with my TY drains and found that the right angle bronze fitting had been chosked full of decaying leaves from winter storage. After removing the hoses (and replacing the old seacock gate valves) I replaced the hoses with a clear reinforced hose that is excellent. I would not put in a full circle coil because this is where stuff will collect and plug the hoses sooner than later. I also would not cross the hoses because when you are heeling at 20 degrees, the leeward scupper will not drain uphill and the cockpit will remain full of water (oddly enough the same is also true when on the other tack!). When the Ty has a motor perched on the stern she is a bit tail heavy - causing any water in the cockpit to drift aft. The same is true when a person is perched near the aft end of the cockpit while steering and tending the motor. Even when the boat is level with me in it the waterline in just below the cockpit deck. When saililng and on a heel, the leeward scupper lets water in to the cockpit - it drains during the tack. When the wind is up and the rail is down - there is always a bit of water that gets into the cockpit - dry feet? I don't think so!! In addition, one of the quirks of the Ty is that water may come up the rudder post tube and land in the cockpit. Since the scuppers are forward, the water will stay there until the boat is trimmed fore and aft. That is why there is little water in the cockpit when she is all alone at the mooring. The anchor may help counterbalance the motor but when the skipper is in the stern it takes a lot of crew to counterbalance the skipper (I speak from experience!). I only wish that I were experiencing your dilemma as I sit at my computer typing this memo while my Ty is still on her trailer with winter cover. Since the lake water temp is still around 39 F I am in no rush but still envious of those in warmer climates.
Gary H

Lake Champlain

Post by Gary H »

Dick,
One of my goals for this summer is to bring my Typhoon up to lake Champlain and sail up the lake for a few days (perhaps starting at Crown Point). Any advice you can give me on places to moor overnight or on this type of trip on Champlain in general?
I did not intend to hijack this thread - so feel free to send my a PM if you wish.
Thanks,
Gary