Dry cleaning cushion fabric?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

oldragbaggers

Great tip, Phil

Post by oldragbaggers »

I can't wait to try it on our 28. Should make for nicer summer cruising.
Lance & Becky Williams
Happily retired and cruising aboard our dreamboat, Anteris
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/anteris/
https://www.facebook.com/oldragbaggers
Dean Abramson

Drip, drip

Post by Dean Abramson »

Phil,

Thanks for the tips and encouragement.

If I do not revise my current passive approach, I think my four-day estimate is, well, ...delusional!

I am going to get more creative. Most of the water has migrated down to one edge of each now, so I think I can use a technique of squeegeeing it out with a piece of plywood with me standing on it, then shifting my weight towards the edge.

I may not dry these cushions, but I am putting on a great show for the confused neighbors!

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Judith

And for an encore. . .

Post by Judith »

If the cushions ever dry out, you can keep the neighbors entertained with the Archimedesesque experiment involving swimming pool + canoe + cannonball. . . :wink:

Judith
To unpathed waters, undreamed shores.
The Winter’s Tale. Act iv. Sc. 4.
Dean Abramson

Archimedes-challenged

Post by Dean Abramson »

Judith, you are going to have to explain that one to me, as I skipped out on my Archimedes classes. Is that sorta like Ark o' Noah? If it involves lots of water, I still have that!

Day Three reveals cushions that are more or less dry to the touch. But since they still weigh sixteen tons, I suspect we are not there yet. I am requesting four additional days, minimum.

By the way, I got more merit badges than my brother, and that has always kind of eaten away at him...

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Judith

The Archimedes reference

Post by Judith »

Sorry, Dean. Just goofing on an experiment proposed in a recent thread:
http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... s&start=15

At some point, Neil Gordon posted "As an aside, would anyone here actually let the neighbors see them sitting in a canoe with a cannonball in a swimming pool?"

I got most of MY merit badges in the area of obscure humor (with a minor in the Totally Uncalled-for category) :D

Judith
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Cleaning cushions

Post by trapper »

Hi Dean,

We just purchased a CD25D with what I think may be original cushions (blue/grey sort of tweed). They were badly mildewed some places were actually black. When I started to take the covers off to clean them, the zippers are done. The slides have all but disappeared. I decided to try to clean them while still on the foam. I used a product called "Tough Stuff" get it at Autozone or sometimes at Dollar General for $1 cheaper. It is a foam cleaner made for auto upholstery. Anyway, they came out great. Hope yours come clean.
GrFa
Stony Point, NY

Post by GrFa »

Just in case anyone is still considering dry-cleaning, don't. Our boat has some original cushions in the V but replacements on the settees. We took the settee cushions to get them dry cleaned and they shrank and the fabric pulled. They hardly went back on the foam and now look stupid haha.

I would also recommend a gentle wash. Or replace everything entirely.
Greg Falk
Dean Abramson

Of giant sponges

Post by Dean Abramson »

Since Phil tells me these suckers will eventually dry, I am keeping the faith...

But now I am guessing maybe two weeks or more of drying will be required. And I am wondering, frankly, if they will ever dry. I would not recommend doing what we did. These rascals are HEAVY still.

It's like I took a kitchen sponge the size of a boat berth (actually several thereof), totally saturated it, did not wring it out, and started hoping for the best. Not my best move. Maybe like mega dumb.

My search for the benefits of a liberal arts degree continues...

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Dean Abramson

Correction

Post by Dean Abramson »

My brother informs me that he actually had more merit badges than I did. So I stand corrected. Actually, I am sitting down.

He did not mention if one of them was in home economics.
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Use your washer or foam carpet or upholstery cleaner....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Unless the zippers have seized up, if they are made of olefin, polyester, nylon or acrylic you can remove the old covers and wash them in the washing machine. I used to do this while the zippers still worked.

Use cold water and wash them using the delicate cycle. Only let them agitate from 3-5 minutes. If they still smell like diesel, wash them again. Don't put them in the drier if you can't get the diesel smell out of them; diesel fumes can be ignited by the drier. If the covers are really smelly, you may want to add Fabreze Laundry Odor Eliminator to the wash. If you put the covers in a drier, use the lowest temperature setting (Low or Delicate) and let them tumble for about 20 minutes then hang them to dry the rest of the way. (And now's a good time to repair them if then need any repair.) Getting the covers back on the cushions is always alot of fun, but you can do it.

If the zippers have seized up and you can't remove the covers you can use a foaming carpet or upholstery cleaner. I have used both Woolite and Glory with good results on our old, original cushion covers. Vacuum the cushion first. Have a bucket of warm water and a soft-bristle scrub brush handy. You only need a few inches of water. If your cushion covers are colorfast, you can add a little bleach (oxygen bleach is safest) to the water (ONLY IF THEY ARE COLORFAST). Work in about 2-3 foot square areas at a time. Spray the foam in one section, dip the brush in the water, shake the excess water out of the brush, then scrub the foam into that area of the cushion. Then move on to the next section and repeat the process. If you have a ceiling fan, turn it on and leave the cushion beneath it to dry. Since you don't use alot of water, it will dry relatively quickly. Vacuum the cushion again after it has dried.

You may want to spay them with Fabric Guard 303 afterwards to make them stain, spill and mildew resistant.

Hope this helps.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Dean Abramson

Bad Estimate

Post by Dean Abramson »

Well, I estimated four days, but it took two weeks.

All of our foam cushions are finally dry! I can tell by the weight.

They spent most of the last two weeks outside during the day. Large sponges do eventually dry. Glad I did not start this process right before launch day.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Judith

Whew!

Post by Judith »

I'm glad you posted that, Dean. I was wondering how you and the Giant Sponges were doing :D (Oh, yeah, and in the interim, it occurred to me that a Wet Shop Vac might be useful.)

Bravo!
Judith