First aid

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Big E
Salem, MA

First aid

Post by Big E »

I'm trying to put together a first aid kit for the summer. Any suggestions? I checked the archives & there's not much out there. Thanks for your input!!
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Orion lists the contents of their various first aid kits on their website.

http://www.orionsignals.com/Marine/Products/fakits.html
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
butterflier

First aid kit

Post by butterflier »

I suggest making your own kit. Most first aid kits are not worth their price and give a very limited supply of items that have to be replaced quickly. I would purchase some cold packs, that is packets when smacked, provide a temporary ice cold pack, plenty of bandaids, advil or some other anelgesic, gatorade (electrolytes), bacintracin, tweezers, gauze pads, four triangular bandages, blanket, and a good bottle of rum.
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

Good advice........for a fraction of the cost of a " Marine " first aid kit you can go to Walmart and put together an extensive package that will serve you much better. I use a plastic (yellow) tool box from HD to contain my kit........you could even paint red crosses on it....!
________
Gm Foods
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:50, edited 1 time in total.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

I agree about putting together your own medical kit. I did this a long time ago for diving and update it periodically, discarding items that have gone bad or aged and adding new and improved items.

The only recommendation I would make is to keep all medical supplies in a water tight container. Pills, BandAids, etc. when exposed to constant moisture, do not do well.

There are several companies that make water tight containers (those with a dedicated 0-ring seal). I have always used and been very satisfied with Pelican products. http://www.pelican.com/

I have not financial or other interest in the company. They just make good stuff that works in the marine environment. I use a lot of their stuff.

On the outside of the container you can print the telephone numbers for USCG, your family MD, etc. so that they are readily available to you when needed.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Joe Montana
Member 781

Post by Joe Montana »

It's a small thing, but for anyone who hasn't discovered them yet, 3M's "Nextcare" bandages (Band-Aids to most of us) are great around water. You can even shower with them and they don't come off'!! They replaced "Band-Aids" in my first aid kit a long time ago.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Joe Montana wrote:It's a small thing, but for anyone who hasn't discovered them yet, 3M's "Nextcare" bandages (Band-Aids to most of us) are great around water. You can even shower with them and they don't come off'!! They replaced "Band-Aids" in my first aid kit a long time ago.
Whether you go Nextcare or traditional, if you regularly service your seacocks, stock extras. The hose clamps are killers.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
chase

kit suggestions

Post by chase »

I put my own kit together after taking a weeklong course in wilderness emergency medicine -- which has handily paid off in sailing.

I'd add some medicine for diarrhea as it can be dangerous if you get sick away from civilization for an extended period. I also got a scrip for antibiotic which I slip in there for longer trips. With a bad ear infection from swimming or the like it can be very helpful. Also some clove oil for toothache, sunscreen, and emergency sunglasses are useful items. Lots of vitamin I (ibuprofen).

Chase
bottomscraper

Hose Clamp Tails or Tales?

Post by bottomscraper »

Neil Gordon wrote:
Joe Montana wrote:It's a small thing, but for anyone who hasn't discovered them yet, 3M's "Nextcare" bandages (Band-Aids to most of us) are great around water. You can even shower with them and they don't come off'!! They replaced "Band-Aids" in my first aid kit a long time ago.
Whether you go Nextcare or traditional, if you regularly service your seacocks, stock extras. The hose clamps are killers.
Not to change the topic but an inch of heatshrink tubing over the tail of the hose clamp works wonders. They also sell little plastic tips but they are pricey. Bulk heatshrink may be available at your local hardware store or try All Electronics. I think this came up about a year ago.

http://www.allelectronics.com/matrix/He ... ubing.html
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Paul McCary

butterfly bandages

Post by Paul McCary »

Be sure that your assortment of Band Aids includes some high quality butterfly bandages. If someone gets cut badly, there is no substitute.
Paul McCary
Impromptu
Pine Island Marina
Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

Antibiotics

Post by Evergreen »

Whenever we prepare for a cruise we always beg a couple of prescriptions for broad spectrum antibiotics from our local MD, NP, or PA. It usually takes two prescriptions to cover most common bugs and infections. We get them filled and carry them along. It certainly is nice not having worry about finding a medical facility in a strange place and wait endless hours when you want to be out cruising. If they are not used then we just save them for the winter season when someone eventually comes down sick.
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)
Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

A Couple Other Items

Post by Evergreen »

Overnight I thought of a couple other items that are useful.
Pepto-Bismol (generic is fine): Works really well for an assortment of gastrointestinal ailments.
Milk of Magnesia or Correctol: People tend to have problems when they are out of their regular routine.
Benadryl: Works well for allergic reactions and sunburns.
Caladryl lotion: Good for poison ivy and sunburns.
Your treatment of choice for jelly fish stings.
Rubbing alcohol: Pour a little in each ear after swimming to minimize the risk of ear aches.

Most important of all is the remind all people coming on your boat to let you know if they are having a problem. Most people tend to be too embarrassed to mention it until the situation ruins their sailing experience.
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)
chase

good ideas, guys

Post by chase »

Hey my crew always gets out of their routine for whatever reason! I'll add a laxative to their cocktails. Like a Kahlua and M.O.M.?

Chase

I'm sending an email Philip and Sharon