Boye Boat Knife

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Boye Boat Knife

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Hi:
Boye boat knives were rated highly by Practical Sailor, but they're expensive. Do you own one? Do you any any comments, both pro and con? I'd appreciate your input.
Thanks,
Tony Jeske
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Don't know anything about the Boye. My favorite boat knife if the West Marine boat knife made by by the Swiss Army knife company. It's reasonably priced. Beside the nice serrated blade and marlin spike, I like having the flat and phillips head screw driver handy. Not to mention the indispensable bottle opener for some of those beers you just can't get in cans.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Ron M.

nice

Post by Ron M. »

A nice piece of kit. He makes beautiful knives. I think you'd have SOME REGRETS if you lost one however. I've been carrying a stainless low cost,
$25.00 Buck for years. I know that if it was a beautifully made expensive tool like this I would have dropped it overboard long ago......and because of that risk would still have a cheap,( but effective) knife on my belt. But that's just me.
________
BUY IOLITE
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:49, edited 1 time in total.
Mathias

Speaking of knives - lore or real safety?

Post by Mathias »

My friend and I were in discussion the other day about the merits of carrying a knife at all times "on your person" while aboard for the event that you must slash lines to save boat or self.

Triston Jones, in his book "One Hand For Yourself" (and who sailed over 400,000 miles) says, "Never carry a sharp knife. There should be onlyu one or two really sharp knives onboard, and these should be kept in special stowages, so that each time you need one there is a conscious effort involved in reaching it, which triggers the warning mechanism in the back of your skull -- be careful."

This idea of the "knife on your person at all times," is it an old-fashioned idea from the days of being on big ships were newbies made silly knots out of hemp that could not be undone?

Has anybody ever personally had experience with needing a knife in an instant?

Or is this still part of the lore, but not practicality?

-Mathias
Sunset, CD25
Lake Champlain
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Tristan Jones sailed on a boat that didn't have anything like the equipment on the boats we sail on. If you are talking about a fixed blade I'd agree but they may not have even had folding blade knives back in his day. The West Marine Swiss Army knife that I mention above has, for me, a very useful combination of tools. I carry it with me almost all the time while on board. Even on weekends at home I'll carry it if I am doing a lot of odds and ends: opening some packaging, prying something, needing a screwdriver, opening a beer, etc.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Knives

Post by Jim Davis »

Personally I carry several knives on board as tools. A small pocket knife is indispensable for small chores and cutting small stuff. Both my wife and I carry one.

For serious work I like a heavy fixed blade knife sharpened with a file. A stone will put a sharper edge on a blade, but for a serious knife you want an edge that doesn't dull quickly and will rip through fibers. Serrated blades are just as good here. This knife is kept just inside the companionway and is used for almost all rope work. Yes, I have used it to cut lines in an emergency. Not out of desire but for the sake of speed and safety.

To me the fancy knives are nice, but a good old fashioned one should be in every sailors bag of tricks, and kept where it can be grabbed and used quickly.

A good boat knife doesn't have to come from West, many camping, fishing and hardware stores have them.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

For me the best 'knife' I've found is attached to a Leatherman. It's not so much the knife, but the needle nose pliers, etc that I like.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

My perspective comes from diving. I know a few divers who actually use the Boye knife. It is said to never rust, always holds a sharp edge, etc. I do not have one and cannot vouch for it.

I can vouch for a Myerchin knife. I have carried the same one with me on every dive I have done in the past 10-11 years. Before that I went through knives at the rate of 2-3 a year. :(

Hopefully here is the link to the Myerchin site.

http://www.myerchin.com/A508.html

The sheath is a little different than mine so I cannot vouch for the sheath. I do not have the model with the marlin spike. Mine is exactly the same knife but just the knife and sheath, no marlin spike.

This knife has proven indestructible in more than 10 years of hard use. Admittedly, I take good care of it as I do all my essential diving gear but taking care of it involves rinsing it in fresh water and applying some WD 40.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097