San Diego Noob

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Owl
CD25 Hull#438
Monmouth Beach, NJ

Post by Sea Owl »

Sea Junkie;

What a buy! I paid that much for mine, and have more work to do than you....but such is life!

On the cockpit drains. If the hoses look ok, I would bet the through hulls are basically sound. I just pulled the head on mine, and am working to 'close off' the thru hulls which were the intake and exhaust for the head. Finally got the old valves off, and the thru hulls look in good shape. Lucky there I guess. After some inspiration, I am capping the thru hulls off with PVC caps, suitably sealed. I have no need for them for any conceivable future use, but decided taking them out and fiberglassing the hull was more than I wanted to do. Hated buying seacocks, because again, I have no intention of letting water in (or out!) through them. Couldn't find bronze caps, so - voila! PVC, which won't react electrically with the bronze.

I would at least replace the hose clamps on your boat; rusted clamps are prone to give way. There isn't much pressure on these hoses, but they are important and as someone said, holes in your boat!

Based on hard experience, take a hard look at your rudder for cracks showing weakness. Having the rudder break off in your hand can be exciting!

Best of luck, and welcome aboard as another proud CD 25 owner!
Sea Owl
CDSOA Member #1144