Attention Sea Hunt

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Carl Thunberg

Poor Guy

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Can we let him off the hot-seat?

. . . except for the fact that he owes us all a Guinness for using the T-word :wink:. Thanks Dean, for that wonderful proposal.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Melissa:

My thought was (and remains) that any strong gust of wind blowing onto either port or starboard hull (like you always get on the I-95 corridor) could (would) cause the hull to heel way over and fall, sort of like "rail under water" sailing.

By the way, your rig is a commercial truck transport with, I assume, substantial insurance coverage for any damage to "Mahalo".

I should also state one of my best friends (28-30 years duration) talked with me about this trailer (I forwarded him photos). He has been trailering his boats from New York to Florida round trip for years. He says this trailer is a multi-purpose trailer that appears to be in very good condition and can be used for many things other than hauling a boat.

I'm thinking, I'm thinking :?
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Tod M

Repeat after me: I think I can, I think I can....

Post by Tod M »

I know someone on another board who is just the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet but he has a similar way of searching out every little reason for why something can't be done.

My sister and her husband bought an old (1917) R-boat that had been built for Alexander Winton, the automaker. They found her in the corner of a yard, neglected, sitting on an old flat-tired bus chassis that someone had someone had converted to a wagon. They bought her for less than the scrap value of the lead in her keel.

Anyway, they borrowed a truck - the boat alone weighs over 10k lbs - , pumped up the wagon tires, and dragged her 60 miles home via all back roads at a top speed of about 10 mph. This bit of history is now stabilized under cover in a building where she's awaiting restoration - a retirement project. Ed had never towed anything like that before and he's never owned a boat like that before, but he thought it would be neat and has been getting educated about wooden boat construction in preparation for the work.

Can or can't, your choice. You (we) only live once.

P.S. I drive past Leonard fairly regularly! They are right next to I-76 between Akron and Youngstown.
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Just a little encouragement

Post by bhartley »

Robert,

This trailer and boat drove from Charleston to Atlanta and another 2 hours from Atlanta to Arnoldsville. I was VERY worried too and drove behind to be sure that I could jump to the rescue (how I don't know) or call 911 in the event that the boat fell over on an unknowing car.

[img]http://chq.temphost.net/bly/boat.jpg[/img]

Not only did the boat not budge as he drove along at 60 mph on the highway, several police cars passed us and didn't bat an eye (yes, the boat is too wide too). Granted we're in Georgia!

The boat is a O'Day 27. Bigger and heavier than the 25 by a lot. The 600lb lead keel is balanced on the leading corner on a 2x12 that is shattered from the weight of the keel. The tilt forward was about 15 degrees. We did put new tires on (they were dry rotted) and greased the bearings.

[img]http://chq.temphost.net/bly/boat12.jpg[/img]

We bought this boat strictly for the trailer (which now easily and safely moves our Cape Dory 25D.

I share this not to make you feel bad, but to reassure you about rough looking trailers and highway driving.

I have client who drives between VA Beach and Georgia regularly with heavy duty tow vehicles. I would be happy to get you in touch with him if you'd like to work out a deal to make the first leg of the trip.

I'm not a big fan of the early 25's with the plastic port lights, but I love the later ones (like this one). From the photos, this is a very nice boat.

Bly
Ned_Mellon

Another transportation option

Post by Ned_Mellon »

I recently bought a boat on a trailer in Madison Wisconsin. I live in North Carolina. I hired a transport company to trailer the boat for me. They have big diesel pickup trucks and lots of experience. For what they charged me (about $1000) I don't think I could have done the job myself, considering food, fuel, and a hotel. The company is called Giddy-up-go transport. Their web site is www.giddyupngo.com.

I have no relationship with Giddy-up-go except as a satisfied customer.
VidaliA
"VidaliA"
Hull # 379
Wilton, N.H.

????

Post by VidaliA »

Robert, are you now considering a cd28?
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Sea Hunt -- You can do it!

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Sea Hunt wrote:Hello Cathy:

I apologize. I did not see your post until just now.

A CD 30 :?: Cathy, Cathy, Cathy.

Apparently, no one including you takes me seriously. I AM A TADPOLE SAILOR :!:

I think a CD 27 or CD 28 is probably too much for me to single hand with my current limited skills. A CD 30 ketch is, without question, way way beyond my current limited abilities.

I am going to look at a CD 27 in middle Florida this weekend and possibly also a CD Ty Weekender. I believe I would be comfortable with single handing the Ty and would use it as a "trainer". The CD 25D would be (is) my goal, although I also would eventually be comfortable with a CD 27.

This CD Ty Weekender has a "float on" trailer and the asking price seems reasonable (if hull, rigging, sails, etc. are as advertised). I would not really use/need the trailer except as transport from Palm Beach to Miami (100 miles/2 hrs).
Tadpole, shmadpole!

Realization, our CD32 was our FIRST cruising boat. Before that we owned (and still own) and sailed a 13-foot ZUMA on the local lakes of NJ. We occasionally crewed on other boats. And when we chartered, we were always with other more experienced sailors. Sound familiar? We also took lots of lessons.

YOU CAN DO IT!

Whatever you buy, no matter how big or small, since you'll be single-handing, you'll have to make some modifications to allow you to do just that.

All old boats require some work. You will get your hands dirty and learn ALOT in the process. Don't be scared off by a boat that needs cosmetic work. What's important is that the hull is sound and the engine's in good working order.

Anyway, I thought I'd give that boat a nice plug. She's looking rather forlorn sitting there (it's been over a year now) waiting for someone new to love her.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
RC James

BUY a BOAT......ANY BOAT.

Post by RC James »

I first learned to sail at 18 in 1968.....so I don't think we're too far apart in age...assuming your "government pension"...... and I enjoyed the sailing experience, but did not reconsider it unit 1976 when I met my neighbor who was BUILDING a WOODEN boat!. (This accelerated his divorce proceeedings and he never finished it).
1981 and a new job gave me the opportunity to buy a 15ft day sailer on a trailer. I enjoyed this boat for 20 years, but never sailed it in more that 15kts of wind...and learned to refloat it by necessity..I was perfectly happy with this vessel UNTIL I came upon Practical Sailor's reviews of the CapeDory 25/25D....and then I wanted the 25D because of its Magical Ability To Cross Oceans....
Afflicted by the Oceanic Lust, I subscribed to Sail Magazine, Soundings Newspaper, and the local paper. EVERY MORNING I scoured the ads for my PERFECT boat....to no avail. 9 Years passed. I had no real money, I had no real knowledge of how to survey a boat (sure, I'd read the books and had an idea of what to look for....but I was a "tadpole", for sure).
One morning, the Soundings had a 25D in my area for sale (it was an auction....closed bid......) and it was the FIRST Opportunity for me to actually SEE this particular type of boat. I found the marina, accessed the cabin, pumped out the freshwater (yes, I tasted it) accumulation in the bilge, and walked the boat. I made a blind offer made on the fact that the boat was in the water, had a 2yr old survey, the batteries were dead, and I didn't know if the engine ran or not (it turned by hand). It was dirty, it needed a good cleaning, and I WANTED IT!!!
Bottom line? I waited 2 months for the auction. Won. Pulled the boat to land. Rebeddedd seacocks, cleaned it, bought batteries, learned how to bleed/start the Yanmar, and was lucky enuff to have a respectable sailing boat.
Now, How to move it, where to keep it, etc. Talked my sailing neighbor and my 'Queen ' into sailing it with me from the Northern Neck of VA to Norfolk......the black flies and contrary winds, not to mention the persistently idling diesel for 8 houirs due to an intermittent starting problem (later self diagnosed as a bad grounding wire) led to a VERY long day. Bottom line, my neighbor has become a wonderful heavy weather sailing companiion (his favorite line? "It's blowing SNOT....let's go out and break your boat") She's handled everything we've seen, and I continue to gain confidence in this hull design. I'm not up to Mr.Bates' or others' experiences, but it is a step process,,,and each new higher scarier wind scenario calms the spirit....the boats can handle it...it's only the skippers and crews who need to be tested.
As far as maintenance... one learns as one goes. IT AIN'T ROCKET SCIENCE when you mix expoxy....and your technique improves with each attempt.

I don't post often, I enjoy this board, and I've learned untold lessons (still working on the spinning/locked conundrum....but maybe I don't sail fast enuff to worry about this).

By the way, the 'black flies' experience has kept the "Queen" from demanding to go sailing when I do, and sometimes, SeaHunt, that can be a blessing and a Zen-Like thing.......there is no Me, there is no Boat, and life is Good.....................Buy the boat, CapeDory or not. If it floats, it's good. If it's on a trailer, it can be stored ashore when the hurricanes come. Think of the $ you'll save on mooring lines. Bite the bullet, spend the money, and join the ranks. And remember, this is all sent with good wishes and a hope that any angst can be spent learning to single-hand to find the confidence that lies within....there is no you, there is no boat, there is only the wind. RC 25D Hull 10 SERENATA Norfolk
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

"It's blowing SNOT....let's go out and break your boat"
I love that line RC. Obviously a true friend :D

Fair winds
Bill Member #250.
chase

nice Bill.....lol

Post by chase »

I'm canceling my cable..... :D