Interested in CD Typhoon but wary of buying an old boat

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

dckushner

Post by dckushner »

So, I am interested, have owned several sailboats but never an old, let alone an ancient one.
So, would you please advise me:
1. What are the problems I will encounter with an antique?
2. Does anyone know of a specific boatyard or company that specializes in restoring old Typhoon's.
3. Does anyone know of a boat for sail in the Chesapeake area of Virginia or Maryland?
Thanks in advance,
Dave
ronkberg

I sail a '73 Typhoon Weekender

Post by ronkberg »

Hi Dave, just search the archives and read about how many member have had Typhoons. Many have moved on to larger Cape Dory yachts but can not part with the Typhoon. The Typhoon weak points have been enumerated by many members but there are many who are buying and rebuilding this classics little yacht.

Any capable boatyard should be able to restore a Typhoon if they have good fiberglass skills. Search here for Typhoons for sale and I am sure that you'll find some available within your selected sailing area.

We are a proud group of Typhoon sailors ! :D

Regards, Ron
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
wingreen

Post by wingreen »

The hardest part about owning a Typhoon is finding one. I looked for several months until I found this board. I posted a "wanted to buy" ad and found one about 50 miles up the road from here, and just in time for Christmas! The whole timeline was only a few weeks from the time I posted my ad.

The second hardest part about owning a Typhoon is taking her out of the water when I'm done. I can almost hear her protest every time I do it - "Why? Oh, why are you doing this to me? I wanna go back..."

Re: maintenance on an "antique" sailboat... I have found it to be very manageable, although you should consider all 30-year-old sailboats to be project boats. I consider myself very fortunate because the previous owners must have babied mine (1974, hull #748), and it has taken very little effort on my part to make her look and feel good again.

So, after sailing a Ty for over a year now, I feel confident recommending that you should do whatever you can to find one, restore it, and sail it as often as you can. I have never looked back.
sloopjohnl

Post by sloopjohnl »

there is one on the delaware river in philadelphia for sale. it has been on craigslist for a few weeks. from the pictures it looks worth looking at. if you cannot find it let me know, i have location details.
shavdog

My Idea

Post by shavdog »

I would find one that needs cosmetics only...thay way, you can do the work and your total investment wont run amuck...I bought a 78 for 4500 with trailer and spent another 1500 to bring it back to what I could call a respectable place...it was fun because at 19ft things go pretty fast...my 34ft hunter things go very slow because of the size of the boat...the typhoon is a very attractive boat...cant wait to sail her this spring...my finished result is over in the sandbox thread under shavdog..good luck..
dckushner

Post by dckushner »

Thank you very much for the fast responses.
boom2it

1983 CD Typhoon

City Island, NY

My Typhoon

Post by boom2it »

I am considering the sale of our Typhoon, depends what happens with another boat I am looking at.
PM me for details
1983 #1910 excellent condition, ready to sail
not nearly as "old", (as you stated), as the majority that are for sale.
I believe 1983 was the final production year for Typhoon's. (?)
Last edited by boom2it on Mar 4th, '08, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.
Gael Force
City Island NY
83 TY WKNDR
Appleton68

Post by Appleton68 »

I have a 1972 Typhoon which I purchased in 1986 and with what I consider nominal and routine maintenance it still in great shape.
Greg
wingreen

Agreed...

Post by wingreen »

Not much can go wrong on a Ty that can't be fixed by an amateur. Having spent the last year or so learning every square inch of my Ty, I think the only job I would call a pro about is to fix some rotten balsa core, if I ever found any.
tstafford

Post by tstafford »

Do check for balsa core damage around chain plates, fittings, and the deck in front of the cabin. I replaced the deck from the cabin forward, and it was a big job. If I had a yard do the job the expense would be as much as I paid for the boat.

Good luck