Cape Dory 28 anchor chain

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Captain Greg

Cape Dory 28 anchor chain

Post by Captain Greg »

I have an opportunity to acquire 250 ft. of quality 1/4" high test anchor chain at a good price and was wondering if anyone has any experience with using all chain rode on a CD28. That much chain would run around 200lbs. Seems like alot of weight in the bow. Any opinions?
jerryaxler

anchor chain

Post by jerryaxler »

it all depends on where you anchor. Deep water and rocks or coral 250' of chain would be about right. It takes a lot of energy to raise that much chain, so a cost benefit analysis would be in order. If you only sail on LI sound or the Chesapeake, 250 chain is certainly overkill and not worth the energy or weight. I was taught a rule of thumb for coastal anchoring is that the length of chain could be equal to the boat length without loss of effectiveness.
Fairwinds and following seas,
Jerry Axler
The Patriot

Re: Cape Dory 28 anchor chain

Post by The Patriot »

Captain Greg wrote:I have an opportunity to acquire 250 ft. of quality 1/4" high test anchor chain at a good price and was wondering if anyone has any experience with using all chain rode on a CD28. That much chain would run around 200lbs. Seems like alot of weight in the bow. Any opinions?
In some ways 1/4 inch chain is a bit light for this boat. 5/16 inch chain is what one usually sees. Either way it's a lot of weight up forward, but it's hard to label it as too much. These boats aren't fine in way of the bow so they can handle the weight, but there will be a hit with respect to performance in a seaway. For another approach to this issue you might want to take a look at what Fred on CD28 Fenix did with his forepeak. It involves a bit of surgery but the result is quite good.

To handle all chain, you will almost certainly want a windlass and an electric windlass at that. I know several folks who started with a beautiful bronze manual windlass and eventually changed it out due to exhaustion (and perhaps age - their age, not the windlass). Once you go with all chain, you will notice that picking up your gear and moving 50 feet or so just to "sit a little better" becomes something of an effort. My point is that a bargain on chain doesn't necessarily translate into a bargain for the entire mooring system.