Galley sink feucet issues

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Al Levesque

Square o-rings

Post by Al Levesque »

Yes, o-rings can take a set that looks remarkably like square in cross-section. I have seen it often on product that has been in service for a long time. Some of it has to do with the material of the ring and some with the nature of the service. I agree that they look convincingly like they started out square.
sfreihofer

Galley sink faucet issues

Post by sfreihofer »

FWIW

I would use silicone grease. It is not petroleum based. It is non-toxic, and used to lubricate food processing equipment. We used silicon grease when rebuilding scuba regulators because it holds up under pressure, won't wash off with water, and is biologically inert. Whenever I lubricate O-rings, it's what I use. There are reasons they use silicone in implants....

You can buy it at pool supply stores, or food processing equipment suppliers. I've seen it in tubes and tubs. It is also nonconducting, and heat stable, so I've seen it in automotive stores to lubricate and protect light bulb sockets.

I would use it instead of petroleum jelly because petroleum products can degrade certain types of rubber and plastic.

Stan
1981 CD-25 #794
Instant Bubble-head. Just add water.