Shaft Brake

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

noah

turbulence=drag

Post by noah »

Under sail a spinning prop does not spin as fast as the water passing it, when you are under power this is called"slip". When you are sailing and the prop is spinning but not moving through the water as fast as the hull it creates more drag than a locked prop because it creates more turbulence. You can reduce your drag even more if you lock your prop in the "shadow" of your hull. Even with a 3 blade you can hide one blade behind the keel.
Dick Villamil

shaft brake

Post by Dick Villamil »

Right on! Since the prop is creating drag whether it is spinning or not, to reduce the drag I always lock my shaft by putting the transmission in reverse. While on the hard I have premarked the shaft with a stripe of visible paint (on the top of the shaft) so that it relates to having the blade (I have a 2-bladed prop) vertical. Therefore one blade is tucked into the disturbed water behind the keel and the other gives the drag. Whenever I remember to do this I win my races. The most effect on boat speed is when there is light air. With heavy air, the difference in drag is minimal and usually operator error provides a greater effect on the finish of the race. What is interesting is that I use a Sikorsky Prop since it behaves like the proverbial helicopter in water...... When I'm sailing my Typhoon - Victoria, I could care less about the speed (unless somebody is sailing within sight) and leave the motor home - less weight, no drag! :D