Sitting headroom

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Sitting headroom

Post by tjr818 »

Can anyone give me the sitting headroom in the cabin of a TY?
How about the 22' or the 25'
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Ty Sitting Headroom

Post by Oswego John »

Will try to measure a Ty tomorrow.

O J
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Headroom In A Ty

Post by Oswego John »

tjr818,

As promised, here are some measurements for the sitting headroom in a Ty.

On my older model Naugus Ty #28, the distance from the wooden seat to the curved cuddy cabin roof is:

27" on either side.

28" at the center of the roof.

Remember to allow for the thickness of any seat padding on the bench.

O J
Dave H

Post by Dave H »

Hi Tim,
In my typhoon, without cushions below, it seemed like the main thing I was looking at was my shoelaces. In my Typhoon Senior with cushions below, I have full sitting headroom plus about one finger. (I am 6'0") The berths including V berth have a couple inches to spare in length.
Dave
tjr818

Headroom & Shoelaces

Post by tjr818 »

Thanks guys...that is what I was afraid of. I guess I'll have to save a little more and look for a Senior. :roll:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
hughesw

CD-22 Headroom

Post by hughesw »

Sitting headroom in my CD-22 is 40"-42" from the top of the quarter berth to the ceiling (not including the cushion thickness).
tjr818

Sitting Headroom

Post by tjr818 »

Thanks Hughes, that seems a whole lot more comfortable. How do you like the 22? What is the difference between the 22 and the TY Senior? Any advice on what to look for and what to look out for?

Thanks, Tim :)
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
hughesw

CD-22

Post by hughesw »

I've had the 22 for a little over two months now. I seem to be falling more in love with her every time I sail her. Interior accomodations are snug, but seem perfect more my needs. I'm looking forward to doing some limted cruising.

I believe the Senior and the CD-22 are very similiar in design except for all the brass and teak accoutrement.

Warren H.

s
oldragbaggers

CD22

Post by oldragbaggers »

I think we measured the headroom in our CD22 at 4'8"
Lance & Becky Williams
Happily retired and cruising aboard our dreamboat, Anteris
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/anteris/
https://www.facebook.com/oldragbaggers
oldragbaggers

Post by oldragbaggers »

I was just talking headroom from the floor to the top of the cabin. I'd love to take measurements for the SITTING for you, but it's colder than a witch's $%@(^$# here and I can't bring myself to take the cover off. :?
Lance & Becky Williams
tjr818

Post by tjr818 »

Thanks Lance, Becky, & Warren.

Lance & Becky The 4'-8" from the cabin floor is enough information for me. My wife is only 5'-2, so I'm sure she will have sitting headroom. Don't go back out in the cold. I'am not sure about Essex, MD; but it is 14 degrees in Saint Louis.

Warren, you must be in some place nice and warm if you have only had your CD22 for two months and you are getting to sail. YOu said "I believe the Senior and the CD-22 are very similar in design except for all the brass and teak accoutrement. " Which is which? I love the teak and brass, but I am ready to for go the varnish and Brasso, I've been there and done that.

Thanks, Tim :wink:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
oldragbaggers

Post by oldragbaggers »

I don't know about the Sr. but we have owned a Ty and now have a 22. The brass and teak on the Ty was less than the 22. Outside, you have the cockpit coamings and rub/toe rail, pretty much the same on both boats. But the 22 has a lot of teak trim on the interior, whereas the Ty was very spartan (actually, we couldn't even manage an overnight on ours). But interior teak is much easier to maintain. We think the 22 is a huge step up from the Ty as far as accommodations go, although we had a blast on our Ty, and sometimes had as many as 6 (happy) people piled on it.
Becky
Lance & Becky Williams
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Ty Sr. vs CD-22

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Hi Tim:
The Ty Sr. is a strictly a daysailor. There's no water tankage, no sink, no stove, no icebox; but the 22 is so equipped. The Ty is a 7/8 rig, while the 22 is masthead. The 22 has a main boom sheet on a traveler, while the Ty has the older triangular main boom sheeting arrangement, same as the Ty, Jr.
The Ty Sr. has a well for the outboard motor, which leaves the beautiful stern uncluttered, while on the 22, you're forced to hang the motor over the stern, a not so attractive choice. However, on the Ty it's a bit of a pain to pull the motor out of the well every time after sailing if you want to keep the motor out of the water when not in use. You can't tilt it up far enough to clear the water when in the well.
The 22 as the classic oval opening ports while the Ty Sr. has round fixed ports.
Regards,
Tony Jeske
tjr818

Post by tjr818 »

Thanks to everyone. I think my dream boat is a 25D, but my bank account is closer to the TY. I have found a TY Sr. for sail that I plan on looking at soon. Wish me luck. Any ideas as to fair market value??
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
j2sailor

Sitting room comfort below?

Post by j2sailor »

I read on one of the posts a while back about the sitting room on the 22 not giving adequate back support. Or perhaps it had to do with the liner. Can anyone expand on this? - J