Ques re Rigolets to Lake Pontchartrain transit

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

mgphl52

Ques re Rigolets to Lake Pontchartrain transit

Post by mgphl52 »

Hi Folks!

My wife & I recently moved to Mandeville LA but had to leave KAYLA in Niceville. We are planning to sail her over in March, but I have recently heard rumor that one of the bridges between Pontchartrain & the Rigolets is disabled. Can anyone confirm this fact? I have been looking through the NOAA chart update site (http://ocsdata.ncd.noaa.gov/nm) but haven't found anything to confirm or deny the local rumor(?).

Many Thanks!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

http://renegade-cruisers.net/bb/index.php

Post on the Renegades forum... Ask 'Mac the knife'. He lives in Mandeville.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Hi Randy!

Thanks for the link... however the registration never returned and email to the board's admin bounced... Such is life. I'll ask around down at PYC, just haven't been there since we finished moving. Work, Christmas, etc all got in the way.

Thanks again! That is is an interesting board.
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

from Claiborne Young's site

Post by Jim Davis »

From Claiborne Young's "Salty Southeast Cruiser's Net http://www.cruisersnet.net/index.php

Important - Rigolets Blocked Between Mississippi Sound and Lake Pontchartrain
Published: January 5, 2008

The posting below contains unhappy news for mariners cruising west from Mississippi Sound to New Orleans. That's because the Rigolets has always, heretofore, provided the most straightforward (by far) route from the ICW's passage west across Mississippi Sound, to Lake Pontchartrain. And, of course, at least prior to Hurricane Katrina, all of New Orleans' pleasure craft facilities are located on the southern shores of Lake Pontchartrain!
The only other route available to access Lake Pontchartrain, aside from shallow Chef Pass (see below), is to continue following the ICW to the New Orleans Turning Basin, and then swing north through the Industrial Canal to the great lake. Unfortunately, this latter route leads through a steeple chase of bridges, some of which are low level railway spans that seem to open if and when the operators feel like exercising their equipment!

The Rigolets Hwy 90 bridge is out again and will not be repaired. The next opportunity for passage will be when the new bridge, now under construction, opens for service, perhaps in late January. Passage thru the Chef Pass should be undertaken only at high tide and with extreme caution as the depth on the Lake Pontchartrain side are very shallow.
I would encourage everyone to acquire new charts and be extra careful when cruising the Gulf Coast due to storm debris from Katrina.
Thanks for all you do,
Mike Wolford
M/V Island Spirit
Home Port – Oak Harbor Marina – Slidell, La.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
mgphl52

New span open!

Post by mgphl52 »

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the links! I just read in today's paper that the new bridge opened yesterday afternoon. Yee Ha!
Now to find out if KAYLA can get under what's left of the old bridge...
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Post by Jim Davis »

Keep the link in your favorites. It is a good reference.

Enjoy the trip from Florida. Back in the early 70's I sailed my brand new CD25 out of Gulfport. I guess there have been a lot of changes since the.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

mgphl52 wrote:Hi Randy!

Thanks for the link... however the registration never returned and email to the board's admin bounced... Such is life. I'll ask around down at PYC, just haven't been there since we finished moving. Work, Christmas, etc all got in the way.

Thanks again! That is is an interesting board.
Hi back at you"

You are more than welcome and enjoy the trip!
Randy 25D Seraph #161