v-berth framed picture mounting

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John M.Sullivan

v-berth framed picture mounting

Post by John M.Sullivan »

Can I mount a small framed photo / painting in my CD28 in the v-berth at eye level such that it is seen from the companion way, just forward of the forward hatch? I mean at the flat section above the v-berth where the above deck housing curves around through the center line of the boat at the level of the portlights. The problem is that this is the inside of the cabin, and dead on the center line, i.e. the interior wall of where any breaking wave over the bow strikes the house. Do I dare drill a small hole for small screws to anchor the photo? Is there an interior lining in this section? Is this whole idea fool hearty? I have seen photos of such arrangments and they look great. Dresses up the place real elegant like.. How was the photo / painting secured? I do not (in the worst way) want to make a hole or cause any weakening of the house, particularly here where incidentally, I sleep. My present v- berth has NO drips whatsoever. Any advice?
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

VELCRO ???

Post by Oswego John »

N.M.
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

indeed!

Post by Warren S »

When we took ownership there was a nice pen/ink drawing of the boat itself framed in 5x7 and, you guessed it: velcroed to the salon bulkhead. We, too, are all about the classing up of the place, "real elegant like". Works great and stays put no matter what.
"Being hove to in a long gale is the most boring way of being terrified I know." -Donald Hamilton
Sandy D.
Grosse Pointe,Mi

Post by Sandy D. »

I might add the suggestion of also using plexi-glass in the frame instead of glass.
-Sandy
John M.Sullivan

anchor rode door

Post by John M.Sullivan »

Thank you all for these suggestions. Today I set it up on the anchor rode compartment door at the forward end of the v-berth and determined that it will look perfect from all the way back to the companionway! I can drill holes in that door and set the screws in from the other side with no fear. AND my Honolulu raised wife - also the Minister of Finance in this household - can sleep under a koa-framed 19th century print of a brilliant pink dawn behind Diamond Head. How's that for strategy?
Ed Haley

You don't need no stinkin' holes!

Post by Ed Haley »

Use Velcro like others have suggested. Use horizontal and vertical placements of the tape. Any holes in that door will absorb moisture from the anchor rode, swell and then delaminate. Why allow that to happen when you can avoid it
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

velcro

Post by winthrop fisher »

velcro is excellent stuff too use, for ever thing and 101 uses.....winthrop