To Equalize, or Not to Equalize

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

K_LeMans
Raconteur,
Menominee, MI

To Equalize, or Not to Equalize

Post by K_LeMans »

Five years ago I bought a pair of Group 31 Lead-Acid batteries from West Marine. At the same time, I bought a True Charge multi-stage charger which I will admit I left connected and turned on all the time the boat was not in use. This was in California, which meant year-round.

Now in the Midwest, I've pulled the batteries out for the winter and I'm noticing that one of them won't take a full charge. Voltage readings indicate somewhere between 50% and 85% charge.

I'm wondering if Equalization might fix or at least help this battery. Thing is, I've never equalized either battery in five years. I've read (I believe in Calder's book) that equalization will cause sulfates to fall from the plates to the bottom of the battery, where if they collect in sufficient quantity, can short out the plates.

To say that these batteries have seen light use would be an understatement. Anyone have thoughts about the merits of equalization here? Too little too late?
Kevin L.
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

What do you have to loose

Post by Jim Davis »

Personally I would top off the water and do a near total discharge. Use a couple 12 volt light bulbs and let it drain. Then try one more charge. If no luck equalize it. See what happens. What do you have to loose?
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Ed Haley

Equalization process

Post by Ed Haley »

Check the instructions on your system for battery equalization. Usually all batteries to be equalized must first start with a full charge. That one battery that will not accept a full charge may prevent the equalization process to start.
Bob L

Post by Bob L »

I have a truecharge 20 and the instructions that came with it recommend a equalization charge once a month if the battery hasn't been used during that time. I routinely equalize and have had no problem with my 2 6-volts and 1 group 27 - all lead acid.

Just my 2cents
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

gust.com

Post by winthrop fisher »

hi,
true change is the way to go and they make allot of different sizes and they are easy to put in and there are different types you can get into their site gust.com ......winthrop
Leo MacDonald
Location: 'EVENING LIGHT' CD33 No. 38, Pine Isl. Bay, Groton, CT

'Equalizing' is recommended

Post by Leo MacDonald »

Hi Kevin,

'Equalizing' is recommended from once / month to once / year, depending on battery type, usually in the 15.4 VDC range. NOT to be done until you fully understand why and what this does.

Recommend reading some Ample Power, Balmar and Blue Sea Primers on Shipboard electrics, and procuring a good quality digital multimeter.

E.L. has an aftermarket AMPTECH high output alternator, a 'Heart-Interface '3 stage regulator for the engine alternator and a Link-20 Battery monitor. I would recommend this arrangement for sustained battery management & monitoring. We also have a 'True Charger-20' for shore power battery charging.

Let us know how this all works out.

If you would like to ask specific questions e-mail me at <LeoCD33-AT-sbcglobal-DOT-net>.

Hi Winthrop,
What is "gust.com"?
Kevin already has a True Charge multi-stage charger.
Fair Winds,
Leo MacDonald
Founding Fleet Capt., NE Fleet
Past Commodore, Member No. 223
A 'Cape Dory Board' supporting member ~1999 to ~2015 :-)
Jim Lewis

Old time battery maint

Post by Jim Lewis »

Bought two Stoway 185 deep cycle w/cc amps......in 2000...still
using them today and can tell no difference in performance.....

Always leave the batt selector switch on both......and charge
at rate of 2 amps when on board during weekends at dock....
Switch the leads from the charger to the other battery every
several months....check fluid once a year.....or more.....

Does this constitute equalizing????? I am not ready for hi tec
as long as this is making batteries last 8 + years.....btw found
cheap inverter a year ago and have been using that too, and
still have original alt on volvo......probably lucky if it puts out
35 amps.......
Jim Lewis
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

sorry

Post by winthrop fisher »

sorry, they make them, go to guest marine chargers...winthrop
M. R. Bober

Lots of H2O

Post by M. R. Bober »

My notes, from the charger manufacturer, indicate that the equalization process may cause some cells to boil off lots of water. Be sure to have some distilled water on hand before you start the equalization process.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where it is currently sunny but cold) VA
CDSOA Founding Member