Barnacles on Prop: Zinc Barrier Update

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jddj

Barnacles on Prop: Zinc Barrier Update

Post by jddj »

I used Pettit's Zinc Coat Barnacle Barrier on my prop for the first season. The prop had no barnacles on it - a bit of grey/black slime but better than I have ever seen for sitting in the water for almost 6 months in the Town Marine, Guilford, on Long Isl. Sound. I initially put on 3 thin coats.
jim
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Petit zinc barrier

Post by Carter Brey »

Jim,

Thanks for the information. I'm upsound from you some 52 mn to the west, and the fouling this year was beyond belief. I'll look into this product,

Carter Brey
s/v Delphine
Sabre 28 Mk II #532
City Island, NY
seadawg
Corpus Christi, Tx.

Barnacles

Post by seadawg »

Carter,

You mentioned an Interlux system for underwater metals in your post about a year ago. I tried that system and it worked very well here in the Gulf. It is somewhat tedious but the prop was perfectly clean after 6 months when I hauled! In fact, the only change to the bronze prop that I could see was was a change from a gloss finish before launch to a satin finish after being in the Gulf for six months. Charlie
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Carter,

I bought a can of Pettit Zinc Coat Barnacle Barrier a few years ago on recommendation of Cathy. I had my yard spray it on my prop and they sprayed it on a few other boat props too. We had bad fouling that year but the yard manager said that my boat and the others they used it on had significantly less fouling than the other boats in the yard. The next season I saw cases of this paint in the yard office. The yard manager said they decided to use it on all the boat props since this yard does all bottom painting.

Its not fool proof but it helps. That, and a diver about every 3-4 weeks, will keep Delphine cuttin' through the chop like a champ!
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)