pfd

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: pfd

Post by Neil Gordon »

marv brinn wrote:I think that I will wear the pfd at all times because i am a bad swimmer and will carry a knife and two signaling devices if I go in the knife to be used to cut the tether if needed. I read that 47% of these tethers fail if you go in...the one I have has a quick release shackle....But you know who will be in their right mind and able to think clearly if you fall in? I think the best approach is to practice the actual falling into the h20 when you are in a controlled situation.
I don't know how easy it will be to cut a tether while being dragged along at 5 knots. You tend to get dragged under into a drowning scenario. In any case, can you open your knife with one hand and is it tethered to you so you won't lose it?

I'd like to know the source of the 47%. It's an odd enough number to suggest a study but it might be myth (or brand or connector specific), also. I've never seen reference to any widespread failure.

Your training comment is interesting. Yes, training works. We should all do crew overboard, fire, sinking, damage control, etc., etc., but we never do or don't do enough.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Russell:

I called FEDEX in advance. Told them it was a "PFD" (explained it as a lifejacket) with a small CO2 cartridge. They said no problem. When I went to the FEDEX store near my house I again explained "PFD" and again said it had a small CO2 cartridge. Again, no problem. I assume Brian C. also did not have any problem when he shipped it back to me - at least he never said he had a problem.

Marvin:

I am still looking. :( Some days I think I will never find my Cape Dory. I still remember your CD 27. She was very nice.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

FEDEX does work

Post by Joe Myerson »

I haven't had to ship my PFD, but I did once receive an inflatable Float-Tech jacket/PFD from the manufacture. It came, complete with TWO CO2 cartridges, via FedEx. No problem there.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

Airlines

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

American flatly refuses to carry these life vests.

However, Continental says"Continental accepts one carbon dioxide (CO2) powered inflatable life jacket as checked or carry-on baggage. The life jacket may be packed in a checked or carry-on bag or carried as a single item in lieu of a checked or carry-on bag.

The following are life jacket restrictions:

Up to two small non-flammable gas cylinders fitted into the life jacket and up to two small spare cartridges will be accepted
Flares and/or flare guns attached to the life jacket are strictly prohibited and must be removed or the life jacket will not be accepted. "

Delta says "Personal Floatation Devices Delta will accept one self-inflating life jacket that contains no more than two small carbon dioxide cylinders plus no more than two spare cylinders as checked or carry-on baggage. "

Northwest says "CO2 cartridges are allowed in carry on and checked baggage for mechanical limbs and self inflating life vests. Two cartridges may be installed in the life vest and two spares may be carried. There is no limit for the amount that can be carried for mechanical limbs. CO2 cartridges may not be carried for any other purpose. "

United and Jet Blue are like American.

These were from the airline's website.
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

FEDEX

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

Joe and Sea Hunt, how did Fedex ship your PFD's? Bet they were shipped Fedex GROUND. Got a new one last year for the holiday's and thats how mine came. Did not need it overnite, so went w/ the cheaper shipping method. Might get hit w/ a number of extra charges if they were shipped by air and are considered hazardous, but they would do it.

Marv, where do you want to ship this PFD to? If you need to travel internationally, then the PFD might have to go via AIR, and possibly incur extra charges.

Also check w/ Brown (UPS).
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Mark, you're right

Post by Joe Myerson »

Yes, mine came via Fedex Ground.

--Joe
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Mark:

I actually found the FEDEX invoice from when I shipped my PFD back in July 2007 from Miami to New Hampshire :!:

Don't ask me why I keep this kind of crap. My house is a litter box of junk. I've got records going back 20 years and with some things 30+ years. IRS would have a field day if they ever audited me. :( Yikes :!: :!: What the hell am I thinking.

Anyway, I shipped my PFD via FedEx 2 Day Air in a standard FedEx box. The package weighed exactly 3 lbs according to the Airbill and it cost me $23.38. It may have gone Ground, but I paid Air freight charges.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
marv brinn

pfd

Post by marv brinn »

sea hunt did you buy a boat?
none
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

Marv, do you need to ship it back?

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

If you Fedex the PFD there, are you going to need to ship it back? Where is Fedex located and is it accessible to you, at the far end? Or just leave the CO2 cartidges there.
eb1smith
s/v Larissa

PFDs

Post by eb1smith »

For a while the TSA would not allow CO2 cylinder, but that has recently changed. The TSA will allow up to two CO2 cylinders with an inflatable PFD. It is still up to the airlines, so check with them before you buy your ticket. I fly American and no they don't allow the CO2 cylinders, but I do recommend writing and complaining to any airline that won't allow PFDs with CO2 cylinders.
Chris Reinke
Location: CD330 - Innisfail (Gaelic for "A Little Bit Of Heaven on Earth"), Onset, MA

Post by Chris Reinke »

Several years ago I was travelling with a buddy and I had my auto-inflate PFD in my carry-on bag. The airline security person noted the cylinder and inspected the bag. She told me I was not allowed to bring the PFD on the plane due to the cylinder and she was going to confiscate the entire PFD.....while I was busy having a fit my buddy reached over and pulled the manual inflate cord....this was not a great idea. We spent the next 30 minutes in the security office explaining the events to several security supervisors. My buddy kept repeating "its not compressed gas anymore". We eventually made our plane and spent a delightful weekend sailing off Charleston.

Now when I travel I bring my PFD without the CO cartridge. When possible, I purchase replacement cartridges online and have them shipped directly to my destination so they are waiting for me when I arrive.

FYI - The cartridges for a CO rifle will not function in any of the PFD's on the market today. The rifle uses a mounting bracket that uses a screw mechanism at the rear of the cartridge to push it into the mechanism. The PFD cartridges use a threaded end to hold the cartridges into the mechanism.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

They are permitted by the NTSB and TSA but...

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Here are some links to web sites with info on the matter of shipping those CO2 canisters.

USSailing.org: <a href="http://www.ussailing.org/safety/pfds_an ... >[b][u]TSA Permits CO2 Cylinders[/u][/b]</a>
Suite101.com: <a href="http://boatingsailing.suite101.com/arti ... ating_pfds
">Flying with Self-Inflating PFDs</a>
NTSB: <a href="http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... ]Permitted and Prohibited Items[/u][/b]</a> (Look in the 'Disabling Chemicals & Other Dangerous Items' section.)

In a nutshell, according to the NTSB, "....Small compressed gas cartridges (Up to 2 in life vests and 2 spares)...." are permitted. They can either be carried on or checked BUT the airline makes the decision whether they'll carry them or not. So, bottom line, check with the airline first.

Hope this helps.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay