mmsi

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

tartansailor

mmsi

Post by tartansailor »

Just out of curiosity, how many have registered their mmsi?

Dick
Ben Thomas

I did

Post by Ben Thomas »

I did several years ago through Boat US. free reg. form.
radio is also linked to GPS, highly reccomended if distress call made.. lat.& long. sent as well.
Wasn't there some discussion regarding FCC & the Coast Guard accepting MMSI numbers from Boat US?

EPIRB also registered.

[/url]http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/marcomms/gmd ... lt.htm[url]
[/url]
Russell

Post by Russell »

I am registered, I have to be for my radio license which is required if you sail out of the US. But I highly recommend getting one no matter where you sail, especially in the US for your DSC VHF.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

I registered -- but is it good enough?

Post by Joe Myerson »

I registered my MMSI through the free BoatUS website.

But I believe that means I cannot use that number when or if I decide to go outside the US, as the FCC doesn't cross-register these free numbers.

If this is so, it wouldn't surprise me. My only question, is this another case of "Heckuva Job?"

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

MMSI

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

Registered years ago and I also have the GPS and VHF talking to each other.

As for the International MMSI issue, per Boat US
"Did you know that you have to change your MMSI number if you want to cruise internationally?

Due to a glitch in the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) licensing system, your MMSI issued by BoatUS is seen as "invalid" when you choose later to obtain an FCC radio license. BoatUS is trying to fix this problem. In response to a recent FCC Public Notice, we are writing to ask you to tell the FCC to fix their system so boaters can avoid this unneeded inconvenience and cost. Comments are due by November 13, 2007.

Background:
Even though the MMSI VHF radio numbers issued by BoatUS come from the FCC, the FCC's radio licensing system does not accept our MMSI numbers (or those issued by any other private entity) back into their database. This problem occurs when a boater who obtained a number from BoatUS, intended for those boating only on U.S. waters and not needing a license, later decides to cruise to foreign ports and applies for an FCC Ship Station License, as currently required. The BoatUS MMSI numbers are rejected by the FCC, forcing the boater to (1) obtain a new MMSI number from the FCC and (2) go to the trouble and expense of getting their DSC radio reprogrammed with the new number. This often requires sending the radio back to the manufacturer or a service agency with fees.

In May, a petition was filed with the FCC to correct this problem by the National GMDSS Implementation Task Force, of which BoatUS is a member.

Current Situation:
The FCC just released a Public Notice on this petition seeking comments from vessel operators on the inconvenience and cost of embedding new MMSI numbers in DSC VHF marine radios. This notice outlines the request, as well as the comment period which ends 11/13/07."

Boat US was having their members go to http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/upload_v2.cgi to let the FCC know what people think.
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

MMSI

Post by Carter Brey »

I also got one of the BoatUS numbers:

I don't really care about the international use issue. I have no intention of taking my boat into foreign waters.

I have it networked with the GPS as well.

Carter