battery location

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Wanderlust

battery location

Post by Wanderlust »

Question for the CD 30 MKII owners. My boat has 2 house batteries and 1 start battery located on a glassed in shelf that tucks under the cockpit coaming and deck and accesses thru the port lazarette. so, that makes these batteries sit about at the level of the cockpit sole and as far outboard as the hull curve will allow. This weight contributes to a slight list to port which naturally Id like to eliminate. Do other MKII owners use this same location? Has anybody moved their batteries to another location? Im eyeing the sloping bilge area somewhere between the deep bilge and the shower sump pan. That would require a cabin sole access panel but that doesnt intimidate me as a woodworker. It would mean longer battery cables. Since my boat rests in Washington and I live in Alaska, I cant run down and take a look to see if the space is large enough. Any thoughts??
Boyd

Yep and mine lists also

Post by Boyd »

Your right about that location being less than ideal.

I have 4 Trojan t-105's on that shelf and a sealed group 24 starting battery under the port side quarter berth. The T-105's combined with the water heater which is located to the rear of the batteries puts quite a load on the back corner. Mine boat has a list when the STB water tank is empty. The boat almost levels out with the tank full.

Someday.... I will move the T-105's somewhere else. Couldnt think of a somewhere else when I put them in so they ended up in that locker by default. On the port side under the berth in front of the sink is quite a bit of space and I am thinking of building a battery locker there, however my A/C occupies much of that. Someday.... I will remove or replace the A/C and maybe then move the batteries.

It never ends.

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale,Fla.