Cetol Natural Teak

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Troy Scott

Cetol needs UV?

Post by Troy Scott »

Folks,

I've heard that Cetol will not cure without UV, so the boat needs to be outdoors for the application. Does anyone know about this?
Regards,
Troy Scott
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Cdtol

Post by trapper »

I just purchased Honey Teak--following Zeida's lead. Look at her posts -- she says the Honey Teak lasts and looks great. I know that it was the old cetol, but the previous owner put cetol on the hand rails on QT and they look awful--like they are painted opaque orange :( I am not sure how I am going to get it off. He also dribbled some on the deck and I need to get that off too! The cetol appears to really stay on and the hand rails have not blistered or peeled, its the finish that I don't like. Here is pic of QT in June with her weathered teak and the old cetol hand rails.
http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb14 ... C00655.jpg

We need to compare notes next year. :wink:
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

UV not necessary

Post by Joe Myerson »

Troy,

I'm pretty sure that Cetol does not require UV to cure. My evidence is anecdotal, but I think it's conclusive:

The first year that I applied it to my teak trim, the boat was in the yard's shed, recovering from a replacement barrier coat. The Cetol came out looking just fine.

While I was working on my boat, I had an interesting conversation with one of the crew from the yard, who was in the process of putting a coat of Cetol gloss on the teak from another boat -- after having applied one coat of regular Cetol and two of Cetol Light. All that work was also done indoors.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Troy Scott

Cetol does NOT need UV to cure

Post by Troy Scott »

I just received a response from Interlux. It will cure indoors, without UV.
Regards,
Troy Scott
hughesw

So, What's the Verdict?

Post by hughesw »

Now that the summer sailing season is over, how does Cetol Natural Teak hold up?

Warren H.
(Soon to be ecstatic new owner of CD-22, #004.)
AnnapolisMark

Excellent Results

Post by AnnapolisMark »

I put Cetol Natural on the toe rails of both my Power CD28-FB and on the Typhoon. Both were started with bare teak. I put a coat of Interlux sealer on first since these parts are exposed to a lot of moisture. There have been no signs of failure throughout the season. I will lightly sand and put another coat or two on before the start of next season.

Mark Cline
CD28 FB #219 "Brandywine"
Typhoon #1180 - under restoration

Annapolis, MD
Domenic
Location: Cape Dory 10 Hull 1278 & Moody 45ac Janique III Liberty Landing Marina. Jersey City.

Brown Yellowed paint

Post by Domenic »

Cetol looks like old faded brown paint. So, If you like Cetol. Why do you not just buy some cheap oil based brown paint? Domenic
Domenic
Location: Cape Dory 10 Hull 1278 & Moody 45ac Janique III Liberty Landing Marina. Jersey City.

On my boats

Post by Domenic »

I would never put cetol on my boat. If you want your boat to look beautiful. Ya got to strip all that cetol off and put about ten to fifteen coats of Epifanes varnich as I did. Domenic
Gary H

Cetol in not brown paint

Post by Gary H »

I have Cetol on my Ty. While I will be the first to admit that it is not equal to a varnish finish, it is to me satisfactory. It certainly does not look like cheap brown paint. The teak has a nice tone and the grain is nicely visible. Time is a premium and I would rather spend more time sailing that applying 15 coats of varnish.
The Patriot

Re: Brown Yellowed paint

Post by The Patriot »

Domenic wrote:Cetol looks like old faded brown paint. So, If you like Cetol. Why do you not just buy some cheap oil based brown paint? Domenic
Are you referring to Cetol Natural Teak or another (older) version?
Russell

Post by Russell »

removed :D
Last edited by Russell on Oct 25th, '07, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Domenic

cetol

Post by Domenic »

I thought that we were all family here. And able to express our feelings in order to strive for a refined elegance and beauty in our boats. I am very sorry ,if you felt my remarks on cetol were rude. But, Cetol just looks like brown paint to me. Domenic
John Ring

Cetol

Post by John Ring »

Old regular Cetol turns muddy brown/orange with time, and multiple (excess) layers.

Two coats of the new Cetol Natural Teak with a couple coats of Cetol Gloss on top looks like a beautiful glossy varnish, no brown/orange at all. I'm pretty happy with it after one season.

John Ring
CD28 #241
Tantalus
Clay Stalker

Trying Something New

Post by Clay Stalker »

I have tried them all on various boats, Epifanes varnish, Captain's varnish, Armada, regular cetol, cetol light, Teaqua, and teak oil. The best combination of durability and appearance is what we all want, so we can spend more time sailing and less time working. Also, there is a huge difference between how finishes survive between the north (New England, Great Lakes) and south (Florida, Islands, etc). My newest project on the latest Yankee Lady is to strip off all the old finish with a heat gun and scrapers and try a couple of coats of Cetol Natural Teak with a coat of gloss on top. This sounds like the combination I have been looking for. Isn't this great?? Where else could we have this much fun!!! :roll:
Clay Stalker
Westmoreland, NH and Spofford Lake, NH
Tim Mertinooke

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

My friend used the new Cetol teak on his CD27 and it came out very nice. He topped it off with the three clear gloss coats like they recommend and it does look like there is some build like a varnish. It has held up very well this past season in Mass. waters and it will be interesting to see how it holds up over time. He's thrilled and sings the products praises. I considered using it on my Fuji after seeing his results, but I want more time to go by so I can get a good idea of this finishes longevity, color, etc. I decided to go with Epifanes Wood Finish Gloss for the base coats followed by their spar varnish because I like the look a lot and have heard noce things about it from those that have used it for the past few years.

To each his own, I'm a varnish man who loves his Cetol brothers and sisters...
CD26 #52
"Odyssey"