CD 27 review in Offshore magazine

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

blackwatch

CD 27 review in Offshore magazine

Post by blackwatch »

Does anyone know if this article is available on line yet? And if so, where and how???

Thanks,
Scott
kerlandsen

Is this your boat, Hull #1?

Post by kerlandsen »

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... ghlight=27

I was surfing the sight yesterday for information on CD27's and found the above link. I noticed you logon indicated Hull 1.

Kyle
blackwatch

That's my boat!!

Post by blackwatch »

Thanks Kyle. Angela had suggested I look for this info on the board. Thanks alot for the link.

Scott
Dick Barthel

Joe Myerson

Post by Dick Barthel »

If I've got the right article, its written by our own Joe Myerson who I have the pleasure of crewing with this Saturday on Neil Gordon's CD at the Boston Regatta.

I'm sure Joe will be checking in soon.

Dick
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Thanks for the reminder!

Post by Joe Myerson »

Yup, I wrote that article, and I told several folks at the Northeast Rendezvous in Essex, CT, that I'd see about making a PDF of the story to post on the CDSOA website.

The piece ran in the August issue of the magazine, and I'll see about getting it up by October.

The first thing that I've got to check is whether I can post the photos or not; a freelancer took the pictures, and the magazine only buys one-time rights to those images.

If Tom doesn't give me the rights to the pictures, I'll post a text-only link, or send a PDF to this board.

BTW, I hope it isn't out of line to mention that the magazine formerly known as "Offshore" is now called "Northeast Boating."

--Joe Myerson
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: Thanks for the reminder!

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Joe,
Joe Myerson wrote:Yup, I wrote that article, and I told several folks at the Northeast Rendezvous in Essex, CT, that I'd see about making a PDF of the story to post on the CDSOA website.

The piece ran in the August issue of the magazine, and I'll see about getting it up by October.

The first thing that I've got to check is whether I can post the photos or not; a freelancer took the pictures, and the magazine only buys one-time rights to those images.

If Tom doesn't give me the rights to the pictures, I'll post a text-only link, or send a PDF to this board.

BTW, I hope it isn't out of line to mention that the magazine formerly known as "Offshore" is now called "Northeast Boating."

--Joe Myerson
If you get permission, send the PDF to me and I'll add it to the list of articles that we already have available on this site in the "Where to Look" section. Here's a Quicklink:

http://www.capedory.org/cdsoalook-group ... agarticles

Cathy
CDSOA Webmaster
Joe Myerson

Got permission to use pix

Post by Joe Myerson »

I just heard from Tom Croke, the photographer, and he said it's OK to use his pix, just as long as he gets a credit line (which he will).

Now, I just have to get the magazine's Art Dept. to strip the ads and convert the file into a PDF. Then I'll post it (thanks for the link, Cathy).

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
kerlandsen

Magazine Reprints

Post by kerlandsen »

I have dealt with this a little bit professionally. They usually do offer reprints / pdf, but there is often a fee involved.
Since I cannot seem to find the August issue of the magazine, I would be willing to pay a few $ for the file.

Kyle
Joe Myerson

There won't be a charge for the PDF

Post by Joe Myerson »

Kyle,

I don't know what other magazines do, but here at Northeast Boating (the magazine formerly known as "Offshore"), we won't charge anything to make a web-postable PDF of the article, which Cathy can put up with the other magazine articles on the CDSOA website.

My only holdup was the photographer, but he gave me permission to post his images.

That means it's up to the magazine's art department to turn the article into a PDF (stripping out the ads). What I don't know, is whether they can do it today, or whether they'll have to wait.

Anyway, rest assured that if you can wait until the PDF is done and posted, you won't have to pay anything.

If you'd like a copy of the magazine, send me a PM. (This isn't a commercial plug; I happen to work at this magazine.)

Thanks again, Blackwatch, for the reminder.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Joe Myerson

PDF has been sent

Post by Joe Myerson »

The PDF has been sent to our esteemed webmaster.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Ray Garcia

Thanks

Post by Ray Garcia »

Very good piece on the CD27.

Thanks Joe for including my quote towards the end of the article, I was very surprised to read them.

Cool.

Ray
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: I haven't received it...

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Joe,
Joe Myerson wrote:The PDF has been sent to our esteemed webmaster.

--Joe
I haven't received it. Please try again. Send it to webmaster@capedory.org using your email program rather than the message board.

Thanks,
Cathy
CDSOA Webmaster
Joe Myerson

Check your PMs

Post by Joe Myerson »

Hi Cathy:

I just sent you a PM.

--Joe
Cathy Monaghan

Offshore Magazine, Aug. 2007, article by Joe Myerson

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

The article/review of the Cape Dory 27 by Joe Myerson, which appeared in the August 2007 issue of Offshore Magazine, is now online. You'll find it in the "Magazine Articles & Reviews" section on the "Groups & Publications" page in our "Where to Look" section.

So you can either scroll to the top of this page and click on the "Where to Look" link, then scroll down to the "Magazine Articles & Reviews" section and click on the appropriate link;
or
Go to our home page at www.capedory.org (scroll to the top of this page and click on the CDSOA link) and using the menus select "Where to Look", "Groups & Publications" then "Magazine Articles & Reviews" followed by clicking on the appropriate link;
or
Use the Quicklink provided below.

Offshore Magazine, Aug. 2007, by Joe Myerson - Cape Dory 27

Cathy
CDSOA Webmaster
Bob Owens
City Island, New York

Thanks

Post by Bob Owens »

Joe and Cathy,
Thanks to you both for access to the Offshore article. We 27ers can only be grateful to have this. (I do wonder, though, about the reference to a compression post under the mast. My boat lacks this, as I thought was the case for all 27s. Or am I misunderstanding "compression post"?)
Bob Owens