Locating seawater strainer

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Michael Abramson
Yorktown, VA

Plastic bowl, not glass

Post by Michael Abramson »

I may have a newer Groco strainer, it has a plastic bowl, which is probably safer than glass. I know because the razor knife I was using to cut the inlet hose slipped and after cutting through my thumb and nail, it went on to cut into the outside of the new Groco bowl. My thumb will grow back, but I hate to have a scratch in my brand new boating accessory.....

Now back for the 3rd trip to complete this project. Good thing for first aid kits on board.
Dean Abramson

Collateral damage

Post by Dean Abramson »

A sailing buddy of mine used to say that if you haven't drawn any blood, you're probably not accomplishing anything.

Maybe you could leave the severed thumb part by the seacock, in place of the traditional tapered wooden plug.
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Larry McAnally

Re: Thanks again.

Post by Larry McAnally »

Michael Abramson wrote: If anyone is servicing a Volvo MD7A's water pump, I have a few suggestions that may help. I cut out some of the metal piping (which was corroding badly) and replaced it with rubber pre-shaped hoses from Pep Boys. I also replaced the 2 mounting screws with metric allen head screws for much easier future removal/replacement, the original ones were impossible.
Michael,
Replacing the metal piping with rubber(flexible) hose could make changing the pump a much easier task as it can be a challenge to line up the metal tubes so that the tube connections to the pump don't leak. I don't understand which mounting screws you replaced. I am only aware of the 4 on the impeller cover.
Thanks for the tip.
Larry
Mitch F
CD30K, Mere Point, Maine

Re: Raw water stainer

Post by Mitch F »

SeaBelle wrote:In Matinicus, moored next to us was a CD30 ketch with 'Just Married' on the hull, taped with each letter a different color. The newlyweds were from Brunswick, ME. It reminded me of Eric Hiscock's observation, "The only way to get a good crew is to marry one.")

Hey! That was us! We got married on 9/8/07 in Georgetown ME and set off for a week and a half of spectacular cruising. Did you see the lobsterboat that kept coming over to visit us at Matinicus? They saw the "just married" sign and brought us a wedding present that evening - a 5 gallon joint compound bucket overflowing with crab claws! When you guys arrived in the harbor we were still busy picking crab.

The next day we were under sail somewhere between Matinicus and Port Clyde when another lobster boat pulled up next to us - "Just married?" the guy asked. After we told him that the sign was true he motored off, hauled a trap, and returned with two lobsters for us! About an hour later and 5 miles away another lobster boat approached us. "You guys must be the newlyweds I've been hearing about on the radio. I'm supposed to give you some lobsters!" Sure enough, he passed over three more lobsters. When the third lobster boat approached, and with the cockpit getting crowded with two humans and five lobsters, we had to waive off the offer of two more lobsters. Still, we ate shellfish morning noon and night for about three days and still had leftovers! What fun!

And yes, I am quite sure I have the best crew a guy could ask for!