I have to buy a new headsail - where should I look?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Queen Elvis

I have to buy a new headsail - where should I look?

Post by Queen Elvis »

My headsails are all on their last legs, and I would like suggestions as to where I should get a new one. I say 'one' because this might be a great time to add roller furling (see a seperate post), and I am assuming that I will only need one new sail, not two or three, but would appreciate correction on this if necessary.

So who do you like as a sailmaker? Any tips for what I should be looking out, for in addition to price, would be appreciated.

Malcolm
The Patriot

Re: I have to buy a new headsail - where should I look?

Post by The Patriot »

Queen Elvis wrote:... I would like suggestions as to where I should get a new one. I say 'one' because this might be a great time to add roller furling (see a seperate post), and I am assuming that I will only need one new sail, not two or three, but would appreciate correction on this if necessary ...
You probably won't go too far wrong by relying on a local sailmaker with a good reputation. Ask your nearby sailing friends whom they've used.

A smaller local loft will give you more specialized attention because you will represent a larger part of their business compared with the big national lofts. In addition just about all sailmakers use the same computer programs to lay out their sails, and in the general case sailcloth has gotten pretty standard as long as you stay away from the exotics (which would probably be a needless extravagance in any case).

Once you have the sail make sure that the sailmaker will take the time to visit your boat and check the fit and trim. In the long run you will probably be very satisfied with this sort of arrangement.
mgphl52

Slightly smaller with padded luff

Post by mgphl52 »

If you do go the roller furling route, I highly suggest going somewhere between a 135% to 145% head sail and ask for a "padded luff." This will allow better shape and performance when you do need to reef. On my prior CD25, I stayed with hank on jibs and bought two, a 155% & 100%. I also requested a short bridle at the tack and slightly higher clew for better shape, lifeline clearance and a little extra "view" under the sail.

And, get ready for a big boost in performance, especially if you've never had "new" sails!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!