old wooden boats

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

SPIBob

old wooden boats

Post by SPIBob »

Ran across this report and video and remembered a recent thread on this board about the fate of old wooden boats.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... ome-center

Be forewarned that if you watch the video, some of the scenes of "the claw" can be disturbing.
Dick Barthel

Very Sad

Post by Dick Barthel »

Its a sad reality that all old boats cannot be saved, especially wooden ones.
Bill Sonntag

Happy Alternative

Post by Bill Sonntag »

Check out www.cyrg.org for progress on restoration of 1888 Lawley racing yacht ELF.

Bill Sonntag
SURPRISE
CD31
Maine Sail

Wow that's tough..

Post by Maine Sail »

But here's the opposite end of the wooden boat spectrum... I took this last Monday night at Frenchboro Island off the Maine Coast..

-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
neil
Cape Dory 25, hull # 253
Key West, The Conch Republic.

Post by neil »

Im not watching that video.... I get enough of that at my job.
I am however in the middle of saving one wooden boat from that very fate, Her names Freedom and heres some pictures:

http://www.odd.org/Freedom/

My boss mentioned in passing that it was going to be a pity to crush her and I think he saw murder in my eyes because he gave her to me rather quickly when I said "dont do that".

John Vigor most likely thinks I have become totally irrational. He is correct.

GRIN!

Cheers,
Neil
}=-(-_-)-={
neil
Cape Dory 25, hull # 253

Re: Wow that's tough..

Post by neil »

Maine Sail wrote:But here's the opposite end of the wooden boat spectrum... I took this last Monday night at Frenchboro Island off the Maine Coast..

That is a stunning boat!
woowee!
}=-(-_-)-={
wingreen

what is it?

Post by wingreen »

YAR! Is that an old Herreshoff?
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Very Interesting Ship

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Neil,

She's a beauty.

It's not that often that one sees a ship with a boomkin.

Pardon my ignorance. Can anyone describe what that thing in the water under the stern rail is. Is it a secnd rudder that is part of a self steering system, or what?

Best wishes,
O J
capt alex
Name "Something to Stand On"

Neil want to trade

Post by capt alex »

put her in the water and i will sail it home
minke

Ketch or Yawl??

Post by minke »

Oswego John wrote: ... Is it a secnd rudder that is part of a self steering system, or what? ...
Which rudderpost do you use to determine if she is a ketch or a yawl?? ;>))
neil
Cape Dory 25, hull # 253

Re: Ketch or Yawl??

Post by neil »

minke wrote:
Oswego John wrote: ... Is it a secnd rudder that is part of a self steering system, or what? ...
Which rudderpost do you use to determine if she is a ketch or a yawl?? ;>))

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shes a Yawl rigged Cutter Ketch..... Hows that?
}=-(-_-)-={
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Ketch or Yawl??

Post by Neil Gordon »

minke wrote:Which rudderpost do you use to determine if she is a ketch or a yawl?? ;>))
At the risk of launching a debate that will outdo the wheel vs. tiller discussion...

The notion that the rudder post defines a ketch vs. a yawl is a shorthand way of defining differences in the rigs that are about sail size and placement within the sail plan. I don't think you can convert a yawl to a ketch by simply moving the rudder. What if the rudder is lost and you steer with a bucket trailed over the transom? What then?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
neil
Cape Dory 25, hull # 253

Post by neil »

I guess that would be a Bucket rigged Broken Mizzin Sloop.... or something....

I suppose If I figure out how to sail this boat backwards I will have a Schooner!

I dont care about a debate, but she looks like a Yawl with a taller than usual mizzen, much like me being 6' tall makes me a giant pygmy.

One thing is quite clear, my Cape Dory 25, is smaller, less complex and made of something completely different. did I mention smaller? Or the fact that shes smaller?
One of the main things I have to avoid is letting this new boat get in the way of the work I am in the middle of on the first one....

Out of curiosity, WHAT does define the difference between a Ketch and a Yawl? I always thought it was placement before or after the rudder..... is there another definition?

no debates, just the facts man.

Cheers,
Neil
}=-(-_-)-={
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

neil wrote:Out of curiosity, WHAT does define the difference between a Ketch and a Yawl? I always thought it was placement before or after the rudder..... is there another definition?
This from Wikipedia:

The yawl is often confused with the ketch, which also has two masts with the main mast foremost. The common view is that a ketch has the mizzen mast forward of the rudder post whereas the mizzen on a yawl is aft of the rudder post. This definition is a relatively recent definition and the historical definition is likely to be quite different.

In practice, on a ketch the principal purpose of the mizzen mast is to help propel the vessel, while on a yawl it is mainly used for the purposes of trim and balance. In consequence the mizzen sail of a yawl tends to be smaller, and the mainsail larger, when compared to a ketch of similar size. The mainsail of a yawl will be similar in size to that of a similarly sized and proportioned sloop.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

neil wrote:I guess that would be a Bucket rigged Broken Mizzin Sloop.... or something.

Out of curiosity, WHAT does define the difference between a Ketch and a Yawl? I always thought it was placement before or after the rudder..... is there another definition?

no debates, just the facts man.

Cheers,
Neil
Hi Neil,

Just the facts man. No debates, no jive, no nuttin'.

The defination of the difference between a ketch and a yawl is purely geographical.

People who live north of the Mason-Dixon Line say ketch. Those who live south of the line say ya'll.

Ya'll have a good night, now. Y'hear?

Bubba :D
(Jes' kiddin' round)