Sea Sprite 23 versus Cape Dory 25

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

doggman

Sea Sprite 23 versus Cape Dory 25

Post by doggman »

Does the Cape Dory 25 sailing feel come close to the Sea Sprite 23?
Doggman
Ron Brassord

CD 25 vs Sea Sprite 23

Post by Ron Brassord »

We have owned and sailed both boats extensively, and liked each, but for completely different reasons. The CD 25 is a heavier sturdy, able stiff sailer with accommodations for limited cruising, and moderate offshore sailing. The SS23 is a sweet fast excellent light air boat that has very limited accommodations, that does best in more protected waters. There really is no similarities between the boats, other than they are superb small sloops. I can't think of a negative about either, and would own either again, but for different reasons.
Good sailing Ron B.
Didereaux

it might be noted that...

Post by Didereaux »

It should be noted that a few years ago a fellow named Robert Gainer single handed a Sea Sprite across the North Atlantic. Without a windvane or auto pilot either. These two small but well built boats are extremely under-rated, and you could add in the slightly larger Pearson Ariel.

...one of these days, all things will come together, the stars align and I'll have one of those three!
<big grin of anticipation>
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007
Rollergirl

If you find the SS 23 interesting...

Post by Rollergirl »

You might look at an Ensign. It's a daysailor (you didn't say what was important to you) and a slightly better sailing boat then the SS23. Pearson built a lot more of them then all the SS builders combined.

Here's a link:http://www.ensignclass.com/

Bill

my refurbished Ensign is for sale (shamelessly)
Didereaux

Bill, you are right I had not...

Post by Didereaux »

Bill,
I had forgot to mention the Ensign as well as the Commander! Yes, nice Albergs.
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007
Dick Barthel

Re: it might be noted that...

Post by Dick Barthel »

Didereaux wrote:
...one of these days, all things will come together, the stars align and I'll have one of those three!
<big grin of anticipation>
I hope that day comes sooner rather than later. I miss your sea tales.

Dick