A Video - my CD25 in LI sound (poor man's autopilot)

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

henry hey
Location: Former owner: CD25 - 'Homeward Bound' hull #711. Now sailing with C. Brey aboard Sabre 28 Delphine

A Video - my CD25 in LI sound (poor man's autopilot)

Post by henry hey »

Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Henry,

Great video.....with a perfect choice for the music background.
Sandscape ain't it? Wonder who that is at the keyboard tickling the ivories? :wink:

Did you shoot the video on the way over to Oyster Bay??
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
boom2it

1983 CD Typhoon

City Island, NY

Post by boom2it »

Nice video, though I couldn't make out the "poor man" self steering setup. I am very interested in hearing or seeing how you configured this.
Gael Force
City Island NY
83 TY WKNDR
henry hey
Location: Former owner: CD25 - 'Homeward Bound' hull #711. Now sailing with C. Brey aboard Sabre 28 Delphine

Poor Man's Autopilot and Location

Post by henry hey »

Warren -- yep . . that was on the way out to see you. I was somewhere east of Hart Island heading north-northeast to Connecticut.

Pretty nice wind until about halfway to Oyster (as you know)

boom2it: my autopilot was simply a line lashed to the tiller with a clove hitch and then tied to the windward horn cleat (the one used for the jib sheet). You only need the right sail combination and steady wind and you can stay on track like this for a long time. I was up on the bow for about 20 minutes.

-henry