New or used sails

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Peter Kozup
Hull #42 Sandusky Ohio

New or used sails

Post by Peter Kozup »

Wonder where CD owners in the midwest buy new sails for their boats? Would new sails for my CD 26 have to be specially cut for my boat or would any sails for a 25 to, say, a 27 foot boat work? Or are they specially made for each boat?
Are used sails usually good enough to use? What about having my existing sails refurbished by one of the companies that do that sort of thing, is that a good idea? I believe I need new sails, but I doubt I have the money for new ones.
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Sails

Post by trapper »

Hi Peter,

I am no expert on sails but I have bought a few. You can get used sails that are in good shape for very little money. Try the sail warehouse or Minney's. You have to know your sail plan. You can get those numbers on the net several places, sailrite is one. It may even be on the Cape Dory site. Once you have your sail plan you need to make sure that you buy a sail that will fit your boat. The numbers (like your "P" (luff length) and "E" (foot length) on the main) must be less than or equal to yours.

If your sails are not too far gone, your local sailmaker (or you could send them off) can re-work them. Most sailmakers will not work on really old sails.

Finally, you can get new ones. There is nothing like a nice crisp new sail that fits your boat. FXsails.com has a data bank where you can put in your boat and it will price new sails. Good luck. I will be shopping soon myself. I think that I will go new. :)
Bob Condon

New Sails

Post by Bob Condon »

My brother happen to be at the Annapolis Boat Show where Doyle had a booth. They gave him a price with material cut in Salem Mass and sewn in Maryland (all Doyle)... because we sail out of Salem, Mass, I had been working with Doyle up here...

The show price for a new main for an intrepid 28 was around 1250, local price was 1365...

I wanted to work with the local folks because they can support my needs if there is an issue, so they washed my genoas for free (and I paid for the repairs) so I felt we all came out of the deal well.

I did look at the CD price and their price was just slightly lower so it is better to support the local folks

Bob
Bob Condon
ray b

Post by ray b »

sails are cut to the rig and use more then the boat

most all CD boats have a stiff non bending mast
and a cruised not raced type sail
so a sail from a like rigged and used boat should work fine

newer race boats like a J-24 use a very bendie rig
that makes their sails not very useable on a stiff rigged boat
I had a columbia 24 a 62 full keel stiff rig SOMEWHAT LIKE A CD
and tryed to use a J-24 main sail on it but shape was all WRONG
way tooo much draft as the bending rig on the J-24 flattens out the sail
I had home recut the sail to get it to 1/2way fly right by taking about 3'' out of the sail to flatten it some near the mast

so if you can find a like rig boats sail go for it
jibs are a bit less pickie then mains