Carolinas' Fleet Float-in & BBQ

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Pete

Carolinas' Fleet Float-in & BBQ

Post by Pete »

The CDSOA Carolinas’ Feet is hosting a Carolina Cape Dory Reunion & BBQ

Thirty-Four years ago Andy Denmark splashed his 1st Cape Dory Typhoon in the waters of Oriental, NC. To mark this occasion the Cape Dory Sailboat Owners Association’s Carolina Fleet, is hosting a BBQ dinner and Float-in at Andy Denmark’s home on Broad Creek, Oriental, NC, Saturday September 22, 2007.

Any and all Cape Dory owners are invited to attend this event. You do not need to be an active CDSOA member to attend, only have an interest in, was a prior owner of, or currently own a Cape Dory.

Our hosts for this event are Andy Denmark and Ron Turner. They have graciously agreed to provide ferry services, food, and a place to hold our BBQ. All Cape Dory Sailboat owners are encouraged to sail to Broad Creek on Friday and spend the weekend on the hook (just offshore of Andy’s home.)

The afternoon activities and BBQ dinner will start Saturday at 3-pm. Ferry services will be provided to assist anyone needing a ride into shore (standing by on VHF Ch 16, Hailing "Carolina Fleet").

In order to have enough food for everyone, please RSVP by September 8, 2007 to Peter Cregger (919) 608-2759, Email: pcwebmail@nc.rr.com

Directions and information on the Broad Creek location will follow...

<center>*************</center>
Ron Turner wrote:http://home.coastalnet.com/~rturner/andy;s.jpg

The section of chart at the above link depicts Broad Ck after the standard navaids (#1-4) are replaced by NC Wildlife navaids. They are red/green buoys numbered 1 to 14 just like standard marks. The waypoints on the blue line on the chart DO NOT represent the marks. To get to Andy's you follow the Wildlife buoys up to #12.

For deep draft boats you may want to anchor outside of the channel in vicinity of #7, where Brown Ck and Broad Ck intersect.

We will monitor VHF ch16 Fri from 4pm til dark and again Sat beginning at noon. If you come by boat you will not need a lawn chair.

The section of chart at the link below is the entrance to Broad Ck navaids #1-4.
http://home.coastalnet.com/~rturner/broadck
Ron Turner wrote:To get to Andy's from Oriental by car:
take Hwy 55 towards Bayboro, turn right on Straight Rd
go about 3 miles, turn right on Pamlico Rd
go about 1 mile, turn left on Wildwood Dr
go to end of road, turn right on Juniper Dr
go to end of road.

PS; You might want to bring a lawn chair.
Last edited by Pete on Sep 24th, '07, 10:22, edited 1 time in total.
Pete

Thank You!

Post by Pete »

What a wonderful afternoon of fellowship, food, friends, and boat stories. The food was great with lots of NC BBQ, Fried Chicken, slaw, ice tea, etc. Add to the meal an assortment of cakes, pies, and other yummy dishes--left the entire group stuffed!

A special word of thanks goes out to Kim, Ron, and Andy for hosting this event for the Carolinas' Fleet.

Fair Winds

Pete

P.S. Kim get a GOLD STAR for having to host a house full of sailors!
Judith

I second that. . .

Post by Judith »

. . .from "wonderful afternoon" to being "stuffed"--and, of course, thank-yous to our hosts Ron, Kim, and Andy. Absolutely a lovely day all-round!

The trip itself was a valuable experience, as it expanded our newbie-sailors' range; plus, we motored halfway down and all the way back (either headwinds or NO wind), so--after a string of engine-related setbacks--it added to our confidence in Lil Red, the Weterbeke 13.

Finally, on the the subject of Gold Stars, Kim definitely gets one (she had sailors not only all over the house, but the front yard, the back yard, and even the neighbor's barn)! If there're more Gold Stars lying around, I vote we give them also to Ron Turner and Lou Ostendorff for their gracious shuttle services and to Pete for all the organizational/update efforts.

I'm pretty sure Warren was snapping some pix of the get-together which he'll either post soon. . .or share with me so I can put them up.

Thanks and cheers, yall!
Judith
To unpathed waters, undreamed shores.
The Winter’s Tale. Act iv. Sc. 4.
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Sorry I Missed It.

Post by Parfait's Provider »

I knew I shouldn't be moving stuff around the city on Saturday, but it was the day I could get my middle son , Michael's dad, to help and that was good, very good.

Maybe things will be more settled the next time.

Ken
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Andy Denmark

Ken Coit

Post by Andy Denmark »

I am still holding the port screens for you. Let me know when you'll be down again and we can arrange to meet for a libation or meal so I can get them off my hands.

We missed you and Shelley at the BBQ. Sorry you couldn't make it.
________
SILVER SURFER REVIEWS
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:31, edited 1 time in total.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Carolina Fleet Boat In/ Bar-B-Que

Post by Oswego John »

Hi all,

From what I have been reading about your gettogether, I just know that y'all had a great time.

How many times I read about this and other happenings all over the country and how I wish that I could be there myself. Because of the great travel distance involved and some other personal reasons, it would be very difficult if not impossible for me to meet and greet other CDers in other fleet's activities.

But who knows? Maybe some time soon I'll crash one of these parties and get a chance to say hello to a lot of you great people. Until then, I wish the very best to all of the fleets and avidly read the reports of your activities and socials.

So, as it stands, I'll be with y'all in spirit if not in body.

Sail on,
O J
Parfait's Provider

OJ

OJ,

You would be most welcome at any gathering I can imagine. Next time I am in that part of the country, Oswego is on my "must do" list.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Judith

Here's a photo

Post by Judith »

I think Warren has a couple more shots from the recent Carolinas Fleet BBQ at Broad Creek. But I'll post this one in the meantime.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/1 ... Q6" /></a>

Since it's a little hard to sort out who's who, I'll simply identify the nice back-views of Dick Turner (standing, foreground) and Andy Denmark (seated to Dick's left).

(Notice the green "channel marker" on the tree at left of picture: the green and red markers were Ron & Kim Turner's wonderfully-effective approach to herding a bunch of sailors in the right direction :D )
Parfait's Provider

And Fans Too??

I am impressed by the thoroughness of the hosts and hostess to provide moving air as well as channel markers. Must have made negotiating those narrows much easier.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Judith

Sailing simulator

Post by Judith »

Even better, Ken: the fan mixed a little water with the airstream, so a cooling mist of 'seaspray' was emitted.

And some of us may have been heeling a little by the end of festivities :wink:
Parfait's Provider

How Cool

How kewl is that?
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

"The cure for anything is salt water--sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

Aaaarrrgh. The real cure for anything is four fingers of St Croix rum and a thimbleful or two o ginger beer.

Step lively or I jes myte give ye a cure wi the tip o me cutlass. Double aaaarrgh.

Don't mess wi Cap'n Pucebeard
A *REAL* pirate (insert single aaaarrrgh)
Judith

Indeed, gentlemen! (Good thing I have help!)

Post by Judith »

Ken, quite right: "How cool/kewl" says it all! :D

OJ: Wait. You mean I didn't specify "The real cure for anything is four fingers of St Croix rum and a thimbleful or two o ginger beer" in my signature? How remiss of me! Guess I simply figured that was implicit in the word 'cure,' especially in a sailing context :wink: I hope you'll forgive the error of my ways--but I have an excuse: I was born and raised in California. And you know what that can do to a person. I've even been known to express a preference for {gasp} wine! I'm really trying to learn better. <insert hanging-head-in-shame emoticon>

On the plus side, I DID buy a Cape Dory. . .and a rather rare one to boot. Surely that covers a multitude of sins.

Just so's yall know: I went to one of the pirate-name sites and discovered I'm actually Cannibal Busty Bertha. If that's not a "Don't mess with me" moniker, I don't know what is! Take heed, oh ye prudent ones.

Cheers,
Judith, Her Sweeney Todd-ness
Judith

OJ: dosage?

Post by Judith »

OJ, I just thought, belatedly, to look at my hand. FOUR fingers??? Holy cats!