Ever use McLube SailKote directly on the sail?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Ever use McLube SailKote directly on the sail?

Post by RIKanaka »

The name implies that you can. I want to know if I should. Here's why I'm considering it:

I found out after steppng the mast and attempting to raise the genoa in the furler track that the genoa binds up in the track and won't raise the last several inches. So the lower end of the luff, just above the tack, has a few pleats in it, obviously affecting sail shape and performance.

I've sprayed Sailkote into the furler track as far up as I can reach, which appears to be about 1/3 of the total forestay length. Rather than unstep the mast to get at the upper 2/3 of the furler track, it would be much easier for me to spray the upper 2/3 of the luff tape.

The manufacturer's website has all kinds of testimonials from racers who use it on everything, including the application I'm considering. Anyone else ever use it in this manner, ie, apllied directly to the sail/luff tape?
Last edited by RIKanaka on Aug 19th, '07, 18:33, edited 2 times in total.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Alan D.
Grosse Pointe, Michigan

Sailkote on luff tapes

Post by Alan D. »

I spray McLube Sailkote directly on the luff tape of my genoa. It makes it slide much easier with less binding. If you're worried about Sailkote staining the sail, don't worry -- you can't see it after it dries.

When I ordered new sails last fall, my sailmaker recommended a white UV cover for the furling genoa. I told him I was afraid of stains from gulls and spiders, from the massive mayfly hatches we have on Lake St. Clair, and from the general fallout from Detroit smokestacks. He told me to spray the UV cover with Sailkote. I got the white UV cover and sprayed it with Sailkote as recommended. Again, you can't tell it's been treated. And stains seem to bead up and can be hosed away with water.
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Thanks

Post by RIKanaka »

Thanks Alan, I'll try it.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn