Choice of a Yard

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

minke

Choice of a Yard

Post by minke »

I am completely new to boat ownership and have no idea of what to look for in a boat yard. I do know that I want to do most work myself. I am wondering what you folks find important.

(I tried searching with the keywords yard and choice. Should I have tried other keywords?)
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

What body of water are you going to be on?
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Russell

Post by Russell »

If you plan to do most of the work yourself, then look for a yard that even allows that, some dont. And some which do allow it, actually charge you extra to work on your own boat! Look for a yard also that allows outside contractors to come in. My best yard experiences have been at small mom & pop yards with very little in the way of services, they tend to cater mostly to do it yourselfers and are very laid back. Plus when the time comes that you do want to hire a contractor, since they dont have their own in yard contractors, you actually get to pick who you want to do the job, rather then get stuck with the yards guy who might have a bad repuation.

My worst experiences have been at the glitzy expensive yards that offer everything under the sun, they tend to look down on do it yourselfers, you might get treated poorly, charged for working on your own boat and since your stuck with their guys, you have little flexability.

Small mom & pop yards are the way to go.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
minke

Post by minke »

Joe CD MS 300 wrote:What body of water are you going to be on?
Our thoughts center on the lower Chesapeake, perhaps the middle neck.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Once you've narrowed down your choices, see if you can chat with some of their customers. Find out what the quality of their service is and also the quality of their promises.

I agree with the prior post... it's best to be able to work on your boat yourself, particularly for no skill jobs like waxing and painting. For where you might actually need talent, it's nice to be able to use someone independent of the yard. On the other hand, if they have a good reputation for service, price, etc., then maybe you're okay even with a monopoly.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Russell

Post by Russell »

minke wrote:
Which side? Deltaville is worth looking into, I know there is a couple good yards there that fit the description I gave above.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
minke

Post by minke »

Russell wrote:
minke wrote:

Which side? Deltaville is worth looking into, I know there is a couple good yards there that fit the description I gave above.

Actually Deltaville is where we were looking. When I first posed the question I was looking for abstractions or characteristics to look for. Obviously actual recommendations are even better. Thanks!
neil
Cape Dory 25, hull # 253
Key West, The Conch Republic.

Post by neil »

I work in a boat yard and about all I can say is be careful.
I dont trust them.
}=-(-_-)-={
Al Levesque

Some yards charge contractors

Post by Al Levesque »

Some yards allow you to bring in contractors but, in compensation for using their facilities, charge the contractors a percentage of the work being billed. Check that out before hiring a contractor on your own. The yard may also insist the contractor is insured.
Troy Scott

be Careful

Post by Troy Scott »

Minke,

Yards which allow folks to work on their own boats usually charge a fee for that. That's reasonable, because they use water, electricity, etc., and often get in the way. I should know..., as I am a proud DIYer. Once a boat owner has paid the fee he often feels like he is entitled to do whatever he wants, and often the owner of the marina looks the other way. For example, my boat was in a well known marina for a complete bottom job and topsides polish, all to be done by the yard. But they allowed a DIYer to actually spray paint on his boat just a few feet from mine. (This was AFTER the polish work...) When I discovered what was happening I pointed out the obvious problem to the yard manager (I shouldn't have had to point this out) but he did not intervene. You might want to ask what other activities will be happening alongside your yacht!
Regards,
Troy Scott
minke

Post by minke »

Troy:

Thanks for the warning. I guess that may only work when you are there to try to protect yourself.