Mooring a Typhoon - what size pendant?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Gary H

Mooring a Typhoon - what size pendant?

Post by Gary H »

I purchased a 3/4" nylon pendant to moor by Typhoon but it appears to be too large all around. The thimble end does not fit on my mooring's shackle and the rope seems too large for my bow fittings and cleat. I have read that a boat this size requires 3/4". Should I reduce to 5/8?
Thanks.
Dick Villamil

mooring pendant for typhoon

Post by Dick Villamil »

how exposed is your mooring? I would use no more then 1/2" - then change the line if it shows any chafe or wear. This should be at least 2 years - although $15 for a new pendent is cheap insurance. ouwant the pendant to stretch as he boat tugs against the waves. This absorbs the shock on the cleat and will last several years. A 7/16 would also work in the more orotested waters.
Jim Sullivan
Location: Past owner of '71 and '73 CD Typhoon; '83 CD22D. Current owner of M/V ATEA IV, 21' lobster boat.

Post by Jim Sullivan »

1/2" nylon is adequate for the Ty. I always used a double pendant and had sewn on leather anti-chafe where each pendant passed through its respective bow chock. It is very important to use some form of anti-chafe or you run the risk of a mooring failure. The leather anti-chafe is available as a kit based on diameter of the line at West Marine or equivalent.

Good luck,

Jim :)
Al Levesque

Post by Al Levesque »

Our Harbormaster rules require two pennants, each at 5/8, for the Ty. Rules also require a minimum of 10 feet in length as well as chafing gear. These all seem to be sensible but probably a bit on the heavy side.