Deck Plug For Mast Light Wires

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Deck Plug For Mast Light Wires

Post by Warren Kaplan »

I need to replace the plug that joins the wires leading from the distribution panel to the wires leading up the mast for the lights. Three wires in all. And it sits at the mast base.

Some years ago the only type of "loose" plug (not actually with a fixed socket into the deck) I found was one used to connect wires to a trailer for the brake lights. It worked but it was never quite right for what I needed.

Everything I see in West Marine seems not exactly what I want. Does anyone know what the part was that Cape Dory used originally on the CD27? Is it still available? Or..what would you suggest as a replacement?

Thanks.
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Deck to mast plug

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Hi Warren:
I find two problems with many of the deck to mast plugs, including Cape Dory OEM plugs. First, they aren't really waterproof and so corrode after a while. Naturally, they always seemed to quit working just as I was about to start off an a cruise!
Secondly, the connector was just hanging in midair, waiting to be snagged, yanked open and perhaps bent.
I solved both those problems by replacing my mast/deck connector with an Aqua Signal Waterproof plug connector,
P/N AQSIG80100-7. It's a five pole connector, more than you need today, but hey, if your ever decide to install a masthead anchor light, you're good to go.
Good Luck,
Tony Jeske
CD-28 #365
NO REGRETS
San Diego
Boyd

Silicone caulk

Post by Boyd »

After much research and frustration, I found that the original installation on my MKII was actually the best.

The wires pass through the deck and are spliced with shielded connectors inside the boat above the bathroom ceiling. This ceiling panel is relatively easy to remove and the connectors are in a dry place.

At the deck level the wires are pulled tight to the mast and where they pass through the deck simply caulked with silicone. Its cheap, easily inspected and remains water tight for at least a year, if not several. The wires go virtually straight from the mast exit holes to the deck holes and I have never tripped on them.

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Rollergirl

Small caution on the Aquasignal

Post by Rollergirl »

I've had two, and neither was totally waterproof. I found some minor corrosion at the end of every season. I'd recomend some dielectric grease in the pins, locking screws and plugs during initial assembly and spring commisioning.

Bill

Restored Ensign for sale, NJ
RMeigel
1979 Cape Dory 27
Annapolis

Mast wire routing

Post by RMeigel »

When I purchased my CD 27, the mast wires exited the mast and then entered the boat through holes in the deck.

My wires do not run outside the mast at all now. My electrician drilled out a 1" hole in the mast deck step fitting. He expoxied a 5 inch piece of PCV pipe over the opening and ran the wires directly from inside the mast to inside the cabin (the ceiling area over the head) This wires are joined via a "European connector" to the wires that run the rest of the way to the breaker panel - so when I unstep the mast I don't need to snip the wires. I just access the connection from the panel in the ceiling and disconnect the mast wires.

The PCV pipe minimizes water incursion from any dripping inside the mast. Theoretically, moisture can run down the wires themselves into the space between the deck and the ceiling liner but I have not seen it.

I had a small stainless plate fabricated to cover the hole in the mast that the wires used to pass through - it has a "D" ring on it so that I have a place to attach my tether if I need it while at the mast.