Cleaners on gelcoat

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Kemah

Did the citrus trick work on old Cetol?

Post by Kemah »

I'm wondering if the Citrus/Saranwrap trick mentioned in several posts on this thread worked for anyone in getting old Cetol stains off gelcoat, like the non-skid deck areas? (Hope, hope !!) Or is there anything else that you've tried that works and is easy on the gelcoat?

Thanks so much.

Fair winds,

Kemah
Wayne Grenier

Post by Wayne Grenier »

ok-here is my 2 cents-whatever you would use to clean a toilet or a shower stall will work on fiberglass-this includes soft scrub-bon ami-bar keepers friend-a scrunchy pad-toilet bowl cleaner etc-obviously you only want to use as little force as necessary to remove the offending stain/dirt-also anything you would use to compound your car will work-and wet sandpaper-say 400-600 grit will works as well-as far as acetone goes it will not damage your gelcoat but it must be kept away from lexan-acetone and a scrubby pad or wet sandpaper and compound with a scrunchy pad will almost certainly remove tape-glue-cetol-etc-compound the area and polish and wax and your back in business-fwiw my boat is a 1974 and the gelcoat is still in good shape-the only areas I ever painted were the non-skid-